Topic: ShowKase & GoDaddy

Hi, I've moved over from the JuiceBox Forum to the ShowKase Forum here where I realize I should be asking about this.

A couple of days ago I noticed that an older version of ShowKase wasn't working anymore. I thought maybe I needed to upgrade it and so I did. I followed the upgrading instructions. Unfortunately it seems GoDaddy has an issue with ShowKase  Here is how things went after upgrading. I should note these were the same issuse I was having before I did the upgrade . . .

A bit long:
Yesterday I discovered that Pro versions of ShowKase was no longer working on the GoDaddy server hosting my website. GoDaddy did a server migration several months ago but I never tried to update my website with ShowKase since the migration until yesterday. When it didn’t work I thought I should update to the most recent version of ShowKase available which I did this morning.  I then tried a simple edit and when I tried to save it I got this message:

•    Warning: file_put_contents(..\about\page.xml): failed to open stream: Permission denied
    •    Data not saved. Unable to write xml to file page.xml

I spent several hours trying to edit folder/file permissions to make things work but nothing seemed to work. I then called up GoDaddy to get their “crack” tech team on solving this problem. After long waits and being disconnected several time I finally got someone that sounded like he knew what he was doing. He sounded competent. He looked at the error problems (I supplied him with the error info I’ve copied and pasted below.) He then put me on hold to consult with others on the crack tech team and he came back with an answer.
The answer was/is that GoDaddy no longer supports html coding. More than 70% of their customers use Wordpress so basically I’m out of luck because they can’t handle these errors.
He said I could ask the ShowKase developers but GoDaddy won’t have any fixes. My domain expires on their server in 57 days so I will be looking to move to somewhere that’s less expensive and willing to support ShowKase. I think it’s a great website builder and hope to continue to use it.
I guess I have 2 questions:

#1. Is there a fix for my current situation?

#2. What should I be looking for in a host to ensure they will be able to support ShowKase? Got any recommendations? I’m done with GoDaddy. They have screwed me over for the last time.

Results from ShowKase Test.
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Basic tests
Test
Result
OK?
Php version

Safe mode
off

GD graphics library version

XML DOM functions
available

Success: your server meets the basic requirements to run ShowKase. You should now run the file handling tests to ensure that your server has the correct permissions for ShowKase to work with files and folders.
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
File handling tests
No base directory restriction.
The test program will now carry-out a few file operations. If these produce any error messages then you should check the permissions on the ‘sktest’ folder and all of its contents and then run the test program again. See the help document for information on file permissions.
Attempting to create test folder g1\…

Warning: mkdir(): Permission denied in G:\PleskVhosts\kimlindaberry.com\httpdocs\sktest\filetest.php on line 98
Failed to create test folder
Attempting to copy test file gallery.xml…

Warning: copy(g1\gallery.xml): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in G:\PleskVhosts\kimlindaberry.com\httpdocs\sktest\filetest.php on line 103
Failed to copy test file
Attempting to read contents of test file gallery.xml…

Warning: file_get_contents(g1\gallery.xml): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in G:\PleskVhosts\kimlindaberry.com\httpdocs\sktest\filetest.php on line 108
Failed to read test file
Attempting to open test file gallery.xml for writing …

Warning: fopen(g1\gallery.xml): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in G:\PleskVhosts\kimlindaberry.com\httpdocs\sktest\filetest.php on line 113
Failed to open test file
Attempting to write to test file gallery.xml…

Warning: fwrite() expects parameter 1 to be resource, bool given in G:\PleskVhosts\kimlindaberry.com\httpdocs\sktest\filetest.php on line 118
Failed to write to test file
Deleting test files …

Warning: fclose() expects parameter 1 to be resource, bool given in G:\PleskVhosts\kimlindaberry.com\httpdocs\sktest\filetest.php on line 123
Problems with some file operations: please check file and folder permissions

Re: ShowKase & GoDaddy

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with Showkase.
I hope my notes below help.

First of all, please let me try to reassure you that installing and using Showkase should be a quick, easy and error-free process.
I have free web hosting accounts with three different web hosts that I use for occasional personal use and Showkase runs fine out-of-the-box on all three (AwardSpace, ByetHost and x10Hosting).
I won't go out of my way to recommend any of the web hosts that I use as they are free accounts with limited features and no priority support. Having said that, Showakse runs on all of them without issue.
The System Requirements noted here are really all that should be necessary.

Your problem certainly seems to stem from GoDaddy's migration of your site.

Normally, after migrating a site, you'd need to run Setup ('System -> Setup' from the Showkase admin) to let Showkase know the new location of the site.
Also, if a site fails, then I'd also recommend trying 'System -> Repairs -> Repair' (to rebuild the page records).
Finally, if the above two suggestions fail, I'd suggest installing a fresh Showkase site (in a separate directory so that it does not interfere with your existing site) to see if this works (and if it does, then you could import the pages from your existing site via 'Site -> Import' to avoid having to recreate them all from scratch).
Incidentally, it is still worth making a complete backup of your dysfunctional site just now so that you can import pages from it into a new site at some point in the future.

However, the File Test failures that you posted (from the Server Compatibility Test) suggest that nothing I've mentioned above is likely to work and that the problem is an incorrectly configured server.

The first File Test is simply trying to create a new directory on the server.
If GoDaddy's support cannot figure out why a PHP script is unable to create a new directory, then I'm really not sure what to suggest. That's pretty much as basic as a file management task can be.
The fact that you mentioned "GoDaddy no longer supports html coding" is especially worrying!

I think the clue is in the word 'Plesk' (in the File Test paths).
As far as I am aware, GoDaddy uses Plesk for its Windows servers and I've seen issues with GoDaddy/Plesk/Windows in the past.
I wonder if GoDaddy would be willing to move you over to a Linux server (being that their migration has broken your site and they can't fix it)?
I have a hunch (it's a strong hunch, not just a long-shot) that running Showkase on a GoDaddy Linux server will work fine.
Showkase should work fine on a Windows server (I've seen it myself) but there definitely seems to be something amiss with yours and I'm pretty sure that, if you stay with GoDaddy, the way forward would be to migrate (again) to a Linux server.

Please let me know how you get on and if I can be of any further help.
Thank you.

Hi Steve,

Well I've about had it with GoDaddy. I'm sure that their decisions are completely driven by making the easiest profit they can. When I first signed up with them years ago they offered up to 100 free domain email addresses. I only ever used 3 but they offered free and that was one feature that helped me decide to go with them, Back a few months they said if I wanted to keep my email address I'd have to start paying for it or they would shut it down. I had to buy their version of Outlook to keep it going instead of letting me use my apple mail. Screwed me there but what could do, I still had months on my domain with them so I paid up. Now they are pushing selling their version of Wordpress and they seem to have effectively turned off what is needed (or no longer are willing to support) apps like Showkase to prevent it from functioning. I will never buy into their terrible site builder service. Never.

I did backup all my files on GoDaddy yesterday before I did the upgrade so all my data is now safely on my computer. I just installed ShowKase in a new folder and unfortunately that doesn't seem to have made any difference. Still shutout.

Warning: mkdit():Permission denied
Check permissions for site folder - cannot create data folder_data

I'm afraid I'm going to have to live with what is already in my website for now. It's fine, I just wanted to tweak a few items and add a couple of new images into a gallery. I

... they said if I wanted to keep my email address I'd have to start paying for it...

They used that bait and switch routine with me, too.
I used to use them as my domain registrar (I signed up with them for the 'free' email which they asked me to start paying for soon after) but I've since moved on to Namecheap.

I just installed ShowKase in a new folder and unfortunately that doesn't seem to have made any difference.

Unfortunately, this is pretty much what I expected. If the Server Compatibility Test cannot create a directory, then Showkase simply won't work (and I expect any PHP application which performs any file handling at all will fail, too).
You really need GoDaddy to take a look at their server configuration and allow PHP scripts to handle files and folders (it's probably just a permissions issue hidden somewhere in the server configuration). Without this basic functionality, Showkase is dead in the water.

I still think it might be worth approaching them to ask if they'll switch you over to a Linux server. They don't need to know anything about Showkase or how it works or even anything about what the current problem is to do this. It should be easy for them to do (no knowledge of anything outside of their own services is required) and I'm fairly confident (but can't guarantee) that it would solve your problem. Their Linux servers seem to have better default configuration settings (i.e. more stable with fewer pitfalls) than their Windows servers.

... selling their version of Wordpress...

Just for the record, WordPress is free (third-party plugins and themes can be purchased if necessary) and not too difficult to set up. (The most difficult part of a WordPress installation is setting up a database but even this takes only a couple of minutes in the hosting account's Control Panel.).

I wish you well whatever path you go down.
Just let me know if there's anything I can help with.

Thanks for the reply Steve. Perhaps I mispoke about GoDaddy selling Wordpress. The are marketing "special" Wordpress hosting packages with plugins and auto updating to upgrades, etc. To me they are selling their version of it but I guess that's inaccurate.

Now that you mention it have you personally found Namecheap a decent hosting and domain registration company? Any problems with them supporting ShowKase? I've got to start planning my move away from GoDaddy as I said and to me they all appear about the same. I;ll check their features and costs out myself buy it never hurts to get an impartial opinion about a company.

I just use Namecheap personally as a domain registrar. No problems, though. It was very easy to migrate from GoDaddy (and they were cheaper than GoDaddy's renewal prices, too).
I use the aforementioned free web hosting accounts for personal use (just odds and ends, really, no sites up at present, I only signed up with them because they were free).
I use our own servers (Leaseweb) for testing/business use (probably not ideal for a regular individual user, though).

I wouldn't really recommend a free hosting account (I know you're not suggesting this, by the way) as you may have some or all of the following:
(1) fewer features than a paid account (e.g. the ability to change PHP versions and settings)
(2) limited support
(3) limited web space
(4) more downtime than a paid account
(5) monthly traffic limit

I really just used this to demonstrate that three free web hosting accounts were able to run Showkase without any tweaking at all (so finding a suitable host for a Showkase site really ought to be fairly easy).
The best way to figure out whether or not Showkase will run on a web server is to use the Showkase Server Compatibility Test. It's not foolproof (and you'll need access to the potential web space to run the test) but it might be useful (especially if you use it on a free account before upgrading to a paid account with a new host).

I've really not used any of the web hosts I mentioned extensively (although I've had the accounts for years) so I'd be hesitant to recommend any of them.
AwardSpace is really quick to update PHP (they usually make the latest version available within a day or two of release, even on their free accounts) so they have that in their favor. However, their free accounts have hotlink protection switched on with no ability to switch it off.
x10Hosting has been OK. I had a problem after they migrated my hosting account to a new server (sound familiar?) but they sorted it out fairly swiftly.
ByetHost seems to be the most restrictive of the three web hosts I mentioned, at least with regard to free accounts (e.g. PHP settings locked down, query strings being forced into URLs) but their free accounts still run Showkase (with just one non-critical warning on publishing regarding a PHP time limit which you'd probably never have a problem with unless you had a site with hundreds of galleries).
Having said all that, all these restrictions probably wouldn't come into play with a regular paid-for-account.

Whoever you go with, I'd recommend a Linux server over a Windows server (if you're given the choice). Linux servers seem to be much less problematic.

THANK YOU!

You're welcome!

Steven,

Looking at transferring to a new hosting provider and came across "IONOS." They say that they are running Linux and have extended PHP support going back to 4.0. But they are currently at PHP 8.1 and JIT compiler. Would there be any reason I would need to add backward compatibility php service at an additional charge?

The tech/sales rep said that he knows ShowKase work on their servers which I assume to be true since you said Linux was the best way to go. Do you have any kind of experience or feedback about IONOS? Just checking for any additional info anyone might have. I've still got 30 days before I lose my GoDaddy site hosting so I've got a little time to figure it out.

Thanks,

Kim

Hi.

Unfortunately, I have no experience with IONOS but a (correctly configured) Linux server running PHP 8.1 should be absolutely fine for Showkase (with no need to add backward compatibility for PHP).

However, I cannot guarantee that Showkase will run fine on any particular server (although I see no reason why it should not run perfectly well under IONOS hosting, given the information I have) so, if possible, try running the Showkase Server Compatibility Test on the web space that they provide before committing.

I'm perhaps being a little over-cautious; the IONOS hosting looks fine (there doesn't seem to be anything to look out for). I just can't be 100% certain. Bear in mind that Showkase runs fine on my 3 different free web hosts without any tweaking at all so chances are you'll be fine.

Thanks Steven

Steven @ Showkase wrote:

Hi.

Unfortunately, I have no experience with IONOS but a (correctly configured) Linux server running PHP 8.1 should be absolutely fine for Showkase (with no need to add backward compatibility for PHP).

However, I cannot guarantee that Showkase will run fine on any particular server (although I see no reason why it should not run perfectly well under IONOS hosting, given the information I have) so, if possible, try running the Showkase Server Compatibility Test on the web space that they provide before committing.

I'm perhaps being a little over-cautious; the IONOS hosting looks fine (there doesn't seem to be anything to look out for). I just can't be 100% certain. Bear in mind that Showkase runs fine on my 3 different free web hosts without any tweaking at all so chances are you'll be fine.

UPDATE:
I have indeed left GoDaddy and transferred the domain registration and hosting to IONOS. Last night I uploaded the SKTest folder and tried to run it and couldn't even see it at the url it should have been at. Everything was blank. I started changing folder and file permissions and still all I could reach was a blank page. I decided to go to sleep and call tech support this morning. Before I did that this morning I downloaded the test one more time and unzipped and uploaded the folder for a fresh try at running. I'm happy to report that the test ran perfect. I'm not sure exactly why it worked this morning and not last night but it's fine. Now I have to go through transferring all the backup folders/files to make the site transfer complete and get it all back up and running again.

So for the record, IONOS hosting on Linux with PHP 8 is compatible with ShowKase.

Now to transfer and update and refresh my site.

Migration of my website is nearly done. A few tweaks and it will almost be as good as new. A couple more questions though.

#1. For some reason all of my galleries now have a JUICEBOX link displayed in the bottom right corner on them. I know they were not in the previous version of my website so now I'd like to find where to turn that off? I've looked but can seem to find that feature.

#2. I guess since I upgraded to a new MacBook Pro M1 running macOS 12.5 Monterey my Juicebox. Pro is broken. When I try to open it I get a message to contact the developer.  That makes it kind of inconvenient when trying to create new galleries to add to my site. Is a new upgrade or fix available? As far as I can tell I already have the most recent version.

Last night I uploaded the SKTest folder and tried to run it and couldn't even see it at the url it should have been at.

Sounds like a domain name problem (not fully set up/propagated yet) or a PHP problem (PHP not yet installed and active on your web space). I'm glad to hear it's working now, though.

#1. For some reason all of my galleries now have a JUICEBOX link displayed in the bottom right corner on them. I know they were not in the previous version of my website so now I'd like to find where to turn that off? I've looked but can seem to find that feature.

The Juicebox link signifies that your galleries are using Juicebox-Lite (the free version of Juicebox). From this, I assume you have Showkase-Standard (and maybe, Juicebox-Pro as a separate purchase). If you do have Juicebox-Pro, then you can quickly and easily upgrade all your Juicebox gallery pages from Lite to Pro by following the Installing Juicebox-Pro instructions here.

#2. I guess since I upgraded to a new MacBook Pro M1 running macOS 12.5 Monterey my Juicebox. Pro is broken. When I try to open it I get a message to contact the developer.  That makes it kind of inconvenient when trying to create new galleries to add to my site. Is a new upgrade or fix available? As far as I can tell I already have the most recent version.

Please see this forum thread for details (and a workaround).

Also, make sure that you are using the latest version of AIR with WebKit support. (Please see this forum thread for details.)
This is currently AIR v33.1.1.743 which can be downloaded from the foot of the AIR download page here: https://airsdk.harman.com/runtime

be sure to uninstall any pre-existing version of AIR before installing AIR v33.1.1.743.

Remember that you can create Juicebox galleries from directly within the Showkase admin without the need to create them on your computer first and then import them but there's no problem if you'd rather create them with JuiceboxBuidler. Just two different ways to create the same end product.