1 (edited by nuvisions 2018-09-24 19:52:25)

Topic: no thumbnail create [SOLVED]

I work for a long time with showkase pro. 1.72 works fine, 1.73 works fine,....

Now, the day comes,... and i upload a new picture,... the upload of the picture is correct, but suddenly the thumbnail ist not created. After that i see no new picture in the admin mode. When i publish the galerie, in the _data/thumbcache the picture is broken and show the picture "?".

No error messages,... i put the debug flag on, on showkase, but no error messages,...

I think it is perhaps a problem with a new php version. On my server works now
Php version    7.2.9    ✔
Safe mode    off    ✔
GD graphics library version    2.1.0    ✔
XML DOM functions    available    ✔

i have no more ideas what can i test.
nuvisions.de

I hope you have an idea an can help me, l love showkase, and never have had a problem.

Re: no thumbnail create [SOLVED]

Thank you for running Showkase in debug mode and for trying the Showkase Server Compatibility Test.
They are usually the two most helpful things when trying to troubleshooting a problem.

The following is just a hunch but it may help.

Please check the PHP memory_limit value on your web server.
You should be able to check your PHP settings using phpinfo() as follows:

• Create a new file in a plain text editor with the following code: <?php phpinfo(); ?>

• Save the file with a .php file extension (for example, 'phpinfo.php').

• Upload the file to your web server and open it in a browser.

If memory_limit is set to -1 (to assign no memory limit) rather than an actual value, then this is likely to be the cause of your problem.

Showkase is not currently set up to handle such a memory_limit value and this prevents thumbnails from being generated. (I have seen this only once before it could be the cause of your problem.)

The developers are aware of this issue and it will be fixed in the next version of Showkase.
In the meantime, a workaround is to hard-code a suitable $memoryLimit value into Showkase's source code.
Open the 'admin/classes/thumbnail.php' file in a plain text editor and change line 27 from:

: ini_get('memory_limit');

to:

: '1024M';

After making this change, please republish your Showkase site (just click the 'Publish' button).
Please note that the line number above refers to the current version of Showkase (v1.7.3).

Hopefully this will solve your problem.
Please let me know how you get on and if I can be of any further assistance.

You make my day,.....

You are the best supporter i know,....

In my php.ini memory_limit ist set to 128M

I follow your intructions, and now it work,....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks alot,...

You're welcome!

I'm glad to hear that my suggestion worked, although I'm a little surprised as I expected to see "-1" instead of "128M" as your memory_limit.
As your memory_limit is already set to an actual value ("128M"), Showkase should read this value and continue as normal (unless your web server is not reporting the memory_limit correctly). It is only if Showkase encounters a memory_limit of "-1" that a problem can occur. (Incidentally, if your memory_limit was not high enough, you would see error messages in Showkase's status bar.)
I'm glad your Showkase site is back up and running but as the problem is not exactly as I expected, I cannot be sure that the new version of Showkase (when it is released) will actually solve your problem.

I would be happy to investigate further but it would help if I had access to both your Showkase site and your web server to check things out and run some tests. If you are agreeable to this, then please email me (you have my email address) with your Showkase site login details (login page URL, username, password) and FTP login details (host, username and password) and I'll hopefully find the exact cause of the problem. (I will not change or delete any existing files on you web server and I will leave everything as I find it.)

It would certainly help us to determine the exact nature of your problem and might help us to formulate a bugfix for the next version of Showkase. Thank you.

However, as everything seems to be working OK at the moment (with the workaround in place), if you would rather just leave things as they are and wait until the next version of Showkase (when it is released) to see if this fixes the problem, then I understand and that is perfectly fine.

@nuvisions

Thank you very much for allowing me access to your web server.
It was very helpful in confirming the bug.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just a quick follow up for anyone following this thread...

The problem was, indeed, caused by a PHP memory_limit of -1.

The memory_limit of 128M in the user's case above was for the root directory only (not inherited by subdirectories) and the memory_limit for the Showkase site's 'admin' directory (and all its subdirectories) was reported as -1.

This bug will be fixed in the next version of Showkase and the workaround I posted above (to modify the 'thumbnail.php' file) should work fine as a temporary measure for anyone experiencing similar symptoms.

The bug noted above (regarding a PHP memory_limit value of -1) has now been fixed in Showkase v1.7.4 which has just been released.
Please see the Version History page for a full list of changes between versions. (The Version History page will be updated very soon in the next website refresh.)
Full instructions for downloading the latest version and upgrading a Showkase site can be found in the Upgrading Showkase support page.

Upgrades are free within the same major version number so if you purchased Showkase v1.0.0 (for example), then you can download all v1.x.x releases at no further cost.
Download links always point towards the most recent version that you are entitled to (rather than the version you purchased), so you can use your original download link from your purchase email to download the latest version.

Upgrading a Showkase site should be a quick and easy process (instructions in the link above) but please be sure to make a full backup of your site first, just in case anything goes wrong and you need to reinstate your original files at a later date.