1 (edited by Vasily Iakovlev 2015-12-23 10:10:49)

Topic: Two questions from new user

Hi!
Today i have bought ShowkasePro, and now i'm filling up my new portfolio website.
Everything is fine, and i want to say a big thanks for your work!
But i have a big reguest for developers.
Can you add additional icon for Russian social network Vkontakte (vk.com)? This is mostly popular social network in Russia, much more popular, than Facebook. This is one of the generals way for me become new customers and to communicate with them.
And one more question. Can i use my Simpleviewer licence to build dual language website? index.html page will be like: "RUS | ENG", and then two mostly simply websites, but different languages?
Thank you! And sorry for my english :)

Re: Two questions from new user

But i have a big reguest for developers.

Thank you for your suggestion. I would encourage you to post suggestions for future versions in the Feature Requests forum thread. This keeps all the ideas together and ensures that they are not overlooked by the developers. Thank you.

The social media icons within Showkase are characters in a custom font.
The font contains characters from the 'IcoMoon - Free' library and this library contains a vk.com icon.
Therefore, if you do not use the Facebook icon (for example), then you could replace it in the font with the vk.com icon.
Please see the Using Custom Icons instructions from the Juicebox support pages. (The instructions refer to the icons within a Juicebox gallery but the principle is the same.)
The file that you would need to open in the IcoMoon app is 'showkase/themes/base/fonts/icomoon.svg'.
Once you download your new font, replace the files in the 'showkase/themes/base/fonts/' folder with the files from the 'icomoon/font/' folder (from the extracted font zip file).

Can i use my Simpleviewer licence to build dual language website? index.html page will be like: "RUS | ENG", and then two mostly simply websites, but different languages?

If you have purchased a single Showkase license, then you can have as many Showkase sites and Juicebox-Pro and SimpleViewer-Pro galleries as you like on your single website domain (and all associated subdomains).
If you plan to have a couple of different Showkase sites (one for each language), then please see these forum threads which might help.
https://showkase.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=157
https://showkase.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=18

3 (edited by Vasily Iakovlev 2015-12-24 07:44:21)

Steven, thank you for your answer!
It works! And can i sort order of icons in page footer?
And how can i use these icons at pages of my site? For example, i've made "Contact" page like normal web-page-type, and i want to add icons before my phone number, email etc.

And one more question, not to create a new topic.
How can i reduce free space under the site logo and nav menu? I think, some space is reserved for header and subhead, but i didn't use both. I want to move page content (Juicebox gallery for example) some upper.

Steven, thank you for your answer!

You're welcome.

It works!

That's great to hear. Thank you for letting me know.

And can i sort order of icons in page footer?

It is not possible to sort the order of the social media icons via the Showkase interface but you can shuffle their order by swapping around lines 180 to 188 of the 'showkase/_themes/base/pagetypes/basetheme.tpl' file.

And how can i use these icons at pages of my site? For example, i've made "Contact" page like normal web-page-type, and i want to add icons before my phone number, email etc.

Check out the code in the 'basetheme.tpl' file as noted above.
You can copy the code for the individual icons and use it elsewhere in your Showkase pages (entering it into a page's editor if you like). You would just need to fill in the link's 'href' attribute manually and you might need to use some inline CSS to change the size of the icons and remove the border from the link.
For example to display the Facebook icon, you could enter something like the following into a Showkase page's editor.

<div class="socmedia"><a href="http://www.facebook.com" style="border: none;" title="facebook"><span class="icon-facebook2" style="font-size: 24px">&nbsp;</span></a></div>

How can i reduce free space under the site logo and nav menu?

The best thing to do would be to use your browser's developer tools (usually accessible via the F12 key) to determine which containers are causing the extra space and then apply custom CSS rules to their ids or classes in your theme's 'custom.css' file.
If you experience any difficulties, then please post the URL to your web page so that I can take a look and help further.

Steven, thank you! I'll try to sort icons. You can check my page (can't post links here) - vasilyiakovlev.com
I would be grateful for your help!

It looks like you have successfully replaced the Vimeo icon with the VK icon.
The only thing I notice its that when you rollover the icon, the tooltip text displays 'Vimeo'.
Open the showkase/_themes/base/pagetypes/basetheme.tpl page in a plain text editor and change the 'title' attribute on line 188 from title="Vimeo" to title="VK" (and then republish your site).

If you are having trouble with anything else, please let me know and I'll try to help further.

Thanks, Steven!

Steven @ Showkase wrote:

If you are having trouble with anything else, please let me know and I'll try to help further.

Can you help me with this?

Steven @ Showkase wrote:

The best thing to do would be to use your browser's developer tools (usually accessible via the F12 key) to determine which containers are causing the extra space and then apply custom CSS rules to their ids or classes in your theme's 'custom.css' file.

If you use Firefox, there is a very good guide to the Firefox Developer Tools here.
It's much more comprehensive than anything I could write here.

The most useful tool will probably be the Page Inspector.

The Select an element functionality should allow you to determine which containers on your web page are the ones that you want to modify via CSS.

You can then add the CSS rules to the appropriate containers (via ids or classes) in your theme's 'custom.css' file (for example 'showkase/_themes/maribo/css/custom.css'.

A reference guide for CSS can be found here.
The section on Selectors (ids and classes) will likely be useful.

I hope this helps and points you in the right direction.

(Other browser have their own, similar, developer tools. Please check your own browser's support for details.)