1 (edited by darcey 2013-01-24 04:51:17)

Topic: Multiple-language versions of the same site

I've read http://www.showkase.net/support/guide/#multiple-sites and am wondering if these instructions apply if I'm trying to set up duplicate versions of the same site in 3 languages. Basically, I need an English, French and German version of the same site, with separate galleries and captions in their respective languages. (Client prefers this to the confusion and clutter  of 3 different languages on each page or caption. Even if it means updating 3 versions of the same image caption when updating the site.)

My plan was to keep it simple by creating an index.html ("Choose your language" with links to each of the sites) at the root level. Then a separate folder at the root level for each language (EN, FR, DE), and each of these sub-directories would contain their own copy of the Showcase contents, and their own home page. Is this possible?

Or do I absolutely have to set up one site (e.g. the English version) at the root level, and make the other 2 sub-directories, (as in the live site/dev site examples in your support doc)? If yes, do I have to fill in the Site > Site Settings > title (e.g. French) or is that optional (i.e. just to help avoid confusion while you build and can be removed later by deleting the site title?) I just don't want the word "French" showing up on every page of that section once we launch...
If indeed this is the best way to set up the directories, is there any way to create links in the Site Subhead field (under the logo)? Then I could just make the Site Subhead 2 text links ("Français   |   Deutsch") that point to the subdirectories, and "English  |  French" on the German version, etc, yes? Or would it have to be "English  |  French  | German" on every page of all 3 subdirectories?

Please advise asap.

Re: Multiple-language versions of the same site

Or do I absolutely have to set up one site (e.g. the English version) at the root level, and make the other 2 sub-directories, (as in the live site/dev site examples in your support doc)?

If you would like a single Showkase installation to manage multiple sites, then the additional sites must be in subdirectories of the main site.
However, you could have multiple complete and separate Showkase installations on the same web server if you wish (as long as they are all on the same web domain within the Terms of Use).

If yes, do I have to fill in the Site > Site Settings > title (e.g. French) or is that optional

This is optional but recommended to notify you as to which site you are working on.

is there any way to create links in the Site Subhead field (under the logo)?

This is not possible within the Showkase interface but could be achieved by modifying the '_themes/theme/pagetypes/' template files.

Great, thanks. I am going to try the "3 separate sites on one domain server" option.

I'm assuming I need to follow these instructions http://www.showkase.net/support/guide/#move-site to move the contents of the first site (English) from the root folder to a sub-directory.

That would be wise. Otherwise, subsequent Showkase installations would exist within your first one and that would cause problems.
Whatever you do, please be sure to make a complete backup of your existing site first, just in case things go wrong at some stage in the process and you need to revert back to the way things currently are.

Success :)

And yes, having a backup was critical.