Topic: Unable to publish site

Hi - i am getting the same error as the OP trying to upgrade from v1.3.4 to v1.6.1 (unable to publish the site).  Reverting back to 1.3.4 solved that problem, but clearly that is not the solution to this.

Re: Unable to publish site

I've moved your post to a new thread to keep it separate from Vasily Iakovlev's problems in this thread.

Vasily's 'Pages' layout problem was caused by old or corrupt versions of the '/showkase/admin/css/all.css' and '/showkase/admin/css/bootstrap.min.css' files.
Replacing them with the stock versions from Showkase v1.6.1 resolved the problem.

i am getting the same error as the OP trying to upgrade from v1.3.4 to v1.6.1 (unable to publish the site).

Vasily was not actually unable to publish the site. There was just a warning regarding the PHP function set_time_limit() being disabled. Clicking through this message (it was just a warning, not an error) published the site successfully.

If you are seeing the same warning "Warning: set_time_limit() has been disabled for security reasons", then this is due to the set_time_limit() function being disabled in your PHP configuration settings.

As I mentioned in Vasily's thread, this is just a warning (not an error).
Showkase (since v1.3.4), makes use of set_time_limit() and if this PHP function has been disabled on your server, then there is nothing that can be done within Showkase to enable it.
However, unless your site is very large (and Showkase needs more than the default time limit to process everything), it may never actually become a problem. Just clicking through the warning message should publish your site fine.

If you do have a large site and you are unable to publish it successfully because of set_time_limit() being disabled, then I am surprised that reverting to v1.3.4 helps. (Versions prior to v1.3.4 do not use set_time_limit() so the default time limit will be used, just like in v1.6.1 with set_time_limit() disabled.)

In any case, if you would like remove the set_time_limit() warning, you'll need to enable this function in your PHP configuration settings. If you do not have access to change your PHP settings yourself, your web host should hopefully be able to help you out.

If you are getting any different messages when you try to publish your site (whether they are notices, warnings or errors), please let me know and I'll try to help further.
Thank you.

I reinstalled v1.6.1 to confirm the error.  During 'save' or 'publish', the process hangs, and I get the following "500 - Internal Server Error". I don't get this error with 1.3.4.

Thank you for the additional information.
Unfortunately, an error 500 is a rather generic error message generated by the web server (rather than an error message specifically displayed by Showkase) that can cover a multitude of problems.
Also, a lot has changed between v1.3.4 and the current version (v1.6.1) so I'm not sure what might be causing your problem. (Please see the Version History for a list of changes between version.)
However, here are a few things to check and try.

(1) Please try installing and running the Showkase Server Compatibility Test to check that your server has all the features Showkase needs.
Even if you ran the test before installing Showkase, please try again in case your web host has made any changes recently.
If any of the tests fail, then it might give us a clue as to the nature of the problem. (Also, there are troubleshooting tips in the link above.)

(2) Try contacting your web host to ask if they have made any changes recently or are currently experiencing any issues which might be contributing to your problem.

(3) Try running Showkase in debug mode to see if a more informative error message is displayed in the Showkase status bar when (or before) the problem occurs.
Open your 'showkase/admin/settings/constants.php' file in a plain text editor and change line 12 from:

define('DEBUG', false);

... to:

define('DEBUG', true);

Please note that the line number above refers to the current version of Showkase (v1.6.1).

(4) Try reinstalling Showkase following the upgrade instructions here using v1.6.1. Something may have happened during your initial upgrade attempt which resulted in corrupt files on your web server. Following the upgrade process should (as long as it is successful) replace all Showkase core files (whilst retaining all your existing pages and settings) so if you currently have any corrupt files, then this should fix them.

(5) Try installing a fresh Showkase v1.6.1 site (in a new subdirectory of its own so that it is completely self-contained and does not interfere with your existing site) to see if the problem happens with this new site. This should let us know whether or not the problem is unique to your original Showkase site.

Hopefully the suggestions above will help or at least point you in the right direction.
Please let me know how you get on and if you need any further assistance.