1 (edited by David L 2014-12-28 20:04:42)

Topic: Web fonts from fonts.com

Hi,

I’m considering buying Showkase, but I’d like to use web fonts from fonts.com which are served from their web server, rather than the Showkase fonts folder on my server. I'm already using these fonts on my current website, and I'd like to continue using them. This is currently done by applying CSS selectors to the code markup, and including a line of javascript to enable the page to serve the fonts when it loads.

Is it possible to adapt the Showcase templates to enable the use of fonts.com fonts?

Thanks.

Re: Web fonts from fonts.com

Yes. Please see the Adding Custom Styles and Fonts support section for details (specifically the Adding Web Fonts section).

Please note that each theme has its own 'custom.js' JavaScript file, e.g. '_themes/boma/js/custom.js' (as well as a 'custom.css' CSS file), so you can easily add custom JavaScript to each page if necessary, too.

The example in the support section involves downloading a font kit and adding it to your Showkase site.
However, you could use your theme's 'custom.css' and 'custom.js' files to add any custom CSS and/or JavaScript to all your Showkase web pages. You could just use these files to add the necessary code from fonts.com.

Hi Steven, thanks for the helpful reply. I have Juicebox Pro, so I'll try the web fonts customisation with that first (I'm assuming it works in the same way as Showkase, of course).

One more question: is it possible to have multiple galleries on one page, as with the Juicebox demo showing this implemented with text links to each gallery at the top of the page? I have several photo galleries which are grouped into subsets and it would be useful to allocate one page to each set rather than split across say five pages.

Thanks,
David

I have Juicebox Pro, so I'll try the web fonts customisation with that first (I'm assuming it works in the same way as Showkase, of course).

Please see Juicebox's Using Custom Fonts support section.

One more question: is it possible to have multiple galleries on one page, as with the Juicebox demo showing this implemented with text links to each gallery at the top of the page?

If you really want to have multiple galleries embedded in the same page (like in this example), then you would need to create your galleries on your computer using JuiceboxBuilder-Pro and then embed the galleries into a Basic page manually using the baseUrl method of embedding documented here. (Showkase displays each Juicebox-Pro gallery on its own separate page.)

If you want to group together several galleries, then you can create a Gallery Index Page and then list whichever galleries you like on the page. After creating a Gallery Index Page, just edit a gallery page and in 'Site Navigation -> Group Under', select the name of the Gallery Index Page. Each gallery listed under the index page will be represented by a thumbnail image which, when clicked, will open the selected gallery on its own page. You can have as many Gallery Index Pages (and galleries) as you like.

Please note that each theme has its own 'custom.js' JavaScript file, e.g. '_themes/boma/js/custom.js' (as well as a 'custom.css' CSS file), so you can easily add custom JavaScript to each page if necessary, too.

The example in the support section involves downloading a font kit and adding it to your Showkase site.
However, you could use your theme's 'custom.css' and 'custom.js' files to add any custom CSS and/or JavaScript to all your Showkase web pages. You could just use these files to add the necessary code from fonts.com.

There's no custom.js in '_themes/kosel/js'.  Should there be, or was it eliminated?
If I create a custom.js, will it be seen and used?

@markfriedman

There's no custom.js in '_themes/kosel/js'.  Should there be, or was it eliminated?

Please ensure that you are using the current version of Showkase (v1.3.4).
Support for custom JavaScript (the 'custom.js' files in the theme folders) was introduced in Showkase v1.3.0.
Instructions for upgrading Showkase can be found here.
Please see the Version History for a list of changes between versions.

If I create a custom.js, will it be seen and used?

You will need to upgrade Showkase (to at least v1.3.0) in order to use a 'custom.js' file.