Topic: multi size image support

Just downloaded Showkase update (going from 1.3.0 to 1.3.2) to take advantage of multi size image support. I am using Kosel and Juicebox as my gallery viewer. To use the multi size image support do I just go to customize viewers, customize juicebox, multi size images and make a tick in the boxes for large, medium and small images? Are any other steps required?

Re: multi size image support

As well as selecting the checkboxes in the 'Multi-size Images' section, make sure that the 'Max width' and 'Max height' values are high enough within the upload module settings (when uploading images for your gallery) to accommodate your large image dimensions.

Thanks for the reply. Just a couple more questions...

The large, medium and small image size boxes call for maximum dimensions. Providing I can supply large enough pictures, are the default settings I am seeing of 2048x1536, 1024x768, 800x600 ones that should be used? I guess what I am asking is whether there is a basis for why these pixel dimensions were chosen as the default or are they simply just a starting guideline?

Also, the quality settings are showing as 80, 85 and 80 respectively? Any specific reason why these vary?   

One last question. By design, I have all galleries currently showing as one size throughout my website, except for the Home Page. You can see for example on www.djphoto.com versus http://djphoto.com/architecture/. Is there a way to set this up while utilizing the multi-size image support and still be able to keep the home page gallery's maximum size different than the remaining galleries?

I guess what I am asking is whether there is a basis for why these pixel dimensions were chosen as the default or are they simply just a starting guideline?

They are really just a starting guideline but should be suitable for most users.
If the target audience for your web site is likely to be viewing your galleries on mobile devices or on large desktop monitors, then you could tailor your image dimensions accordingly.

Also, the quality settings are showing as 80, 85 and 80 respectively? Any specific reason why these vary?

This is more likely to be an oversight than a specific design choice. I would expect the default quality settings to be consistent across all image sizes. I will notify the developers of this.
The actual quality settings that you choose will be somewhat dependent on the images you upload and you will likely be looking for a compromise between visual visual quality and file size. Some trial and error may be required to find the optimal value for the images you use. Again, the default value is usually a good starting point.

Is there a way to set this up while utilizing the multi-size image support and still be able to keep the home page gallery's maximum size different than the remaining galleries?

You do not need to do anything different to retain your current site's layout. When using multi-size images in a gallery, the decision by Juicebox as to what size of images to display in a gallery does not affect the dimensions of the gallery. You can still set your gallery's dimensions to whatever values you like.