Topic: problem with pages with same name

I have a problem. I have two main pages 'analog' and digital'. Each page is supposed to have subpages like portraits, landscapes, people etc...

Once I have created all those subpages onder one of the main pages (like 'analog') I cannot use those names in the 'digital' main page.

Any way to solve this?

Re: problem with pages with same name

I have found a workaround. So far it works and I hope it won't crash for some reason in the future.

instead of typing 'portraits' I type ' portraits' and the page gets accepted

Each page created within Showkase has its own folder (with the same name as the page) in the root Showkase directory (whether it is a top level page or a sub-page). Therefore, it is not possible to have two pages with exactly the same name.

You could choose a different name for one of your pages and then manually edit the Showkase page which displays the text but the edit would be lost (and you would need to correct it) each time you modify the page within Showkase.
If you do not plan to modify your pages very often, this might be a suitable workaround.

But can you comment on the   inserted in the title? Is it OK and safe to use? So far the   string is not displayed on the website and on my FTP I see a folder like 'nbspportraits' so it seems to work.

hmmm.. now I have realized that it doesn't work. For a while it was OK and now the menu displays all the digits.

I was composing my response to your first post as you posted your second one (hence no reference to your &nbps; suggestion).
This will not work.

on my FTP I see a folder like 'nbspportraits'

As you have discovered, Showkase strips out non-alpha-numerical characters when using the name for the folder on your web server but escapes XML entites in the name so that it is displayed exactly as you see it in the input text field.
What you were seeing when you thought it was working was likely to be either a page which had not yet been updated and published or a older version of your page cached by your browser.

My suggestion to manually edit the HTML page created by Showkase after it has been published still stands as a possible workaround.

So just to be sure... Which files exactly do I have to edit?

For each and every page in a site, Showkase creates a folder in the root Showkase directory (with the same name as the page itself) and inside each page's folder is a file named 'index.html'.

If you wanted to change the on-screen text in the menu for a certain page name, then you would need to edit all the 'index.html' pages in all the page folders (as the menu is included in every page).

Again, please note that as soon as you update a page within the Showkase interface, the edit will be lost.

It might be easier just to try to give each Showkase page a unique name.