Topic: Problems moving showkase into my root folder.

It's impossible for me to put the following message into this forum software.  It complains about links that don't exist, and I just give up.  Here's a pseudo-link to a jpg image of the text.  Any help you can provide is appreciated:

shuttersnapstudios(dotcom)/pictureoftext.jpg

Re: Problems moving showkase into my root folder.

For reference (and others reading this thread), instructions for moving a Showkase installation can be found here.

It looks like you have successfully moved your installation into your root directory. Your site seems to functions fine with all the files in their new location (other than the 'index.php' home page).

The problem seems to be with your web server's PHP installation.
Going to your 'index.php' home page or your 'admin/index.php' login page, your web server does not process the PHP page as expected but serves it up to the user's browser as a download instead (a default action for a file it does not know what to do with).
It looks like either PHP is not currently installed (or configured correctly) on your web server or there is perhaps an incorrect or missing MIME type for PHP files. In either case, your web host should be able to help you further with this.
Once this has been resolved, your Showkase installation should function completely.

Thanks!  I was pretty iffy on whether I'd moved it over correctly or not.  It's good to know that's all good.  I'll see what I can figure out with the hosting.

Steven, thanks for the advice, they were able to tell me how to fix the problem very easily.  Since I am using PHP 5.3, all I had to do was comment out a line from the .htaccess file and that got rid of the prompt to download issue.

Now that that's out of the way, I have a new issue.  I still have what amounts to two index pages.  I got the gallery to run on the actual index, but when you click the navigation link for Index, it goes to shuttersnapstudios(dotcom)/index instead of just shuttersnapstudios(dotcom).  I figured out how to change this link on each individual page, but if I do so, the changes are lost as soon as you change a page and hit publish.  I've searched high and low and I don't know where showkase is pulling the link information from, so that I can change it there.

This is perfectly normal and is how Showkase works.
Each and every page you create in Showkase (including the page you choose to use as your home page) is given its own folder (in your root Showkase directory) and you can view each page by going to the 'index.html' page within the folder. (This is what happens when clicking a link in a page's menu.)
When a user navigates to the Showkase root directory itself, the 'index.php' file there displays the page you have chosen to use as your home page (the page with the lowest 'Nav Order'). (The home page is not actually duplicated. It is the content from the home page folder's 'index.html' file which is being displayed.)
In doing so, it is possible to quickly and easily change the home page in a Showkase installation without the need to restructure the entire web site.

Oh, ok...that makes sense!  Thanks for the explanation!