Topic: Feature Requests

Please reply to this post with any suggestions for features you would like to see added to Showkase. We are listening.

Re: Feature Requests

I'm liking the product a lot so far. I particularly like the 'online' workflow. Not requiring a suite of tools installed locally makes working on a site from multiple locations a breeze. I can make a change from home at night, and tinker around with it the next day from my workplace at lunchtime without needing any software installed, and that's really powerful. But here are some things that struck me whilst working with it, and I've tried to put them in (my own personal) priority. I hope you'll find them useful:

1. Much that I really like the online workflow, I found myself strongly wishing there was some kind of 'preview' publish, rather than full publish. The problem with having to do a publish to see every change you try, is that your site can be visible by others in a state of disarray as you're working on it. I want the freedom to mess around and try things, safe in the knowledge that the work in progress nature of it won't be seen.

2. In the same way that you can currently create a 'logo', I'd like to be able to swap gallery titles and perhaps other menu texts for graphics (e.g the home page or about page title). Anti-aliased text looks so much nicer than aliasing text, so I'd prefer the option of being able to generate my own text for menus in Photoshop and save them as .jpeg's.

3. I'd like to see more customization options for the gallery index page. With 5, I have an odd number of galleries which looks a little messy on the gallery index page. If I could downsize the thumbnails, Id be able to get them all in one row, rather than one row of 4 and another row below it with a lone 1.

4. I'd like to be able to change the colour of individual letter text within a body of text in the 'About' page. A different colour header for each paragraph for example, that didn't seem possible?

5. Tricky to implement probably, but some kind of backup, revert or undo could be very valuable. There isn't a ton of security as it stands now in terms of preserving what you have. You could probably break something quite easily and have a hard time getting it back to a previous state.

Thanks.

I found myself strongly wishing there was some kind of 'preview' publish, rather than full publish.

Theres a couple of different ways to approach this: A) Hide individual pages while you work on them. Use the page Customize ->  'Show in Nav' and 'Show in Index Pages' options to hide a page. B) Set up a dev version of your site. One copy of Showkase can manage 2 sites on the same server. We've added some information to the user guide here: http://showkase.net/support/guide/#multiple-sites

I'd like to be able to swap gallery titles and perhaps other menu texts for graphics . Anti-aliased text looks so much nicer than aliasing text,

We don't support this option. When you say the text looks aliased, what browser and OS are you viewing on? Your site menu text looks smooth here on Mac OS X / Chrome.

I'd like to see more customization options for the gallery index page.

We may add this a future version.

I'd like to be able to change the colour of individual letter text within a body of text in the 'About' page.

We will add this in the next release.

some kind of backup, revert or undo could be very valuable.

We've added some more information about backing up to the user guide: http://showkase.net/support/guide/#backup

Here my first suggestions:
- First image index customizable at gallery level and not only in viewer options for all the galleries;
- multilanguage site.

Thank you

First image index customizable at gallery level

You can drag and drop images to change the image order. Does this do what you need?

Sorry my english is not good.
On the gallery index page it will be nice to select a different picture number for every gallery.

Thank you

On the gallery index page it will be nice to select a different picture number for every gallery.

Do you mean the ability to select a different image than the first to be the thumbnail in the gallery index page? If so, this is in our queue for a future version.

Hi,
I wanted to know if it is possible to have a "Register user page" and protect certain galleries with a login request.

Thank you

As above - password protected galleries would be quite useful.

I'm seriously considering buying this as I'm somewhat sick of the difficulty in making changes to my current site and would like a simpler solution.

However, I am wondering whether there is any plans or possibility of integrating a shopping cart solution of sorts so viewers can easily purchase prints/digital downloads of images shown in the galleries. If you have plans to add this, I'm buying straight away!

plans or possibility of integrating a shopping cart solution

This is on our roadmap for a future version, but there is no date scheduled.

Felix @ Showkase wrote:

plans or possibility of integrating a shopping cart solution

This is on our roadmap for a future version, but there is no date scheduled.

Any rough idea? Don't really want to buy in and then be waiting 2 years!

Dont buy it if you need a built-in shopping cart. Like I said there is no firm date on when this would happen.

Hi everyone

It would be quite cool if there were more possibilities to customize the ListViewer gallery (h-align of pictures, etc.).
Thank you!

Andi

14 (edited by darcey 2013-01-22 16:40:13)

Would love the ability to add a selection of languages in smaller-than-the-nav-size text (e.g. english  |  français   |  deutsch) to the header or footer of every page. Or maybe to the subheading area of the logo? (I tried this and small text looks great under the logo, but the Showkase admin interface does not allow links in that field). Then they could even be the standard tiny flag icons with minimal aesthetic impact to the layout. I prize the minimalist look of Kosel and hate to add *anything* but when your clientele is global... you kinda have no choice.

Ideally, clicking these links would point to the same page in a separate folder. i.e. if I'm on the Contact Us page in English (www.example.com/en/contact-us)) and I click on the "français" text link, I am taken to the Contactez Nous page (www.example.com/fr/contactez-nous/).

My current workaround is to use the index page as a "choose your language" intro, and then link from there to the separate language folders. e.g. one directory folder of the entire site in English, one in French, etc. This is okay, but not ideal.

Hoping you will add an "insert Google Analytics code here" field to the admin in the future?
For now we have the workaround: http://showkase.net/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=90

Some people asked for it in the juicebox forum, I want to repeat it here: I wish to have the possibility in the admin interface to stick the main pictures within a juicebox gallery to the top an to the left of the stage. For me this is quite important, I don't want photographs with different sizes or aspect ratios somewhere in the middle of the website. I want them have aligned.

Thanks,

Andi

• Option to add uploaded file to the top of the list instead of the bottom. So latest picture uploaded will be the first in gallery list.

• Add tags in direct link. Tag will be generated by title and caption of the picture. ex : have this mywebsite.com/#1-my-title-description-and-caption instead to mywebsite.com/#1

• Add a Facebook compatibility with direct link. No preview picture are actually displayed. Adding a <link rel="image_src" href="http://mywebsite.com/mypic.jpg" /> in the <head> do the trick.

• Add an option to implement social network widgets

Thank you :)

hermann1976 wrote:

Hi everyone

It would be quite cool if there were more possibilities to customize the ListViewer gallery (h-align of pictures, etc.).
Thank you!

Andi

I want more options to list viewer gallery also:

- horizontal smooth scrolling (possibly infinite loop) for horizontal galleries (controllable with mousewheel, arrow-keys, swipe, scrollbar)

@karhu

You might be able to configure a Juicebox-Pro gallery to replicate the layout and functionality you are looking for with configuration options such as:

imageTransitionType="SLIDE"
imageScaleMode="FILL"
showSmallThumbs="FALSE"
showLargeThumbs="FALSE"
buttonBarPosition="NONE"
showImageOverlay="NEVER"
enableKeyboardControls="TRUE"
enableLooping="TRUE"

For reference, a list of all Juicebox-Pro configuration options can be found here.

@ Steven

... but this is not what we are looking for.

Take my example: andibrunner.com

All I want is to have the possibility to place the picture (in this case I used the ListViewer gallery) in the middle. If I used a Juicebox pro gallery here, the layout would change. I've tried that.

On showkases's website you can read "no coding required". That's true so far - but if it comes to some minimal adjustments like changing the alignment (as I wrote in an earlier request), one has to have some knowledge in coding. I'm really looking forward to seeing some more features to customize my galleries in the admin interface with the next update of showkase. In my opinion, this should be possible with an "HTML5 Portfolio Website" ...

Thank you!

Andi

Take my example: andibrunner.com All I want is to have the possibility to place the picture (in this case I used the ListViewer gallery) in the middle.

You can make you image have 1024 px width to fit perfectly.

No, Felix. Then I have to scroll to see the whole image - not what I want. In my living room, I place the pictures where I want; when they're not centered on the wall, I surely don't run and buy larger versions ;-)

Look, don't get me wrong - I like showkase, and basically it is what I was looking for. But I can't understand why you don't implement a basic function like alignment. Come on, we're talking about portfolio websites ...

Andi

We will be adding more config options to the ListViewer in a future version.

I wish there was a way to make unique simpleviewer button on each page. Like one page I would love a download button, but on another I would like there to be no download and instead I would like to have music on it.
Is that at all possible?

Thanks,
Joe

@photojoe01

Please see the 'Customize Individual Viewers' section on this page.