1 (edited by rkny 2013-09-04 23:13:47)

Topic: iPhone landscape support?

Wondering a few things;

1. My site looks ok in vertical mode on an iPhone 5, but it doesn't fit the screen in landscape.

50f2 dot com

2. Is there a way to enable keyboard navigation immediately on page load?  As it is now, the visitor must click a thumbnail or arrow button to go to the next image, and then they use the keyboard.  It would be nice if they could just use the arrow key immediately instead of having to click something.

3. I have the nav buttons set to "stage" in the theme settings, but they still land on the main image, as does the screen mode button.  I prefer no buttons of any kind touching the photos.  What can I do?

4. One thing that's not clear is whether I can upload images directly via FTP and have the site update automatically...if so, what directory do the images go in?

5. When editing the order of thumbnails for a page, it would be nice if the thumbnails appeared in the editor as they do in the actual page.  Arranging a long vertical list of thumbnails that live together on a page horizontally doesn't make much sense.  A grid editor would be much easier to work with.

Otherwise, Showkase is fantastic.  I spent weeks looking for a Wordpress theme that worked as easily and smoothly, and couldn't find one that didn't require hours and hours of modification.  I had Showkase up and running with 4 galleries in under an hour.  Very impressed.  Great work folks!

Rob

Re: iPhone landscape support?

1. My site looks ok in vertical mode on an iPhone 5, but it doesn't fit the screen in landscape.

Does this happen only when rotating the device? Does it fit the screen when reloading the page?
Could you perhaps upload a screenshot somewhere so that I can see what you are seeing? Thank you.

2. Is there a way to enable keyboard navigation immediately on page load?  As it is now, the visitor must click a thumbnail or arrow button to go to the next image, and then they use the keyboard.  It would be nice if they could just use the arrow key immediately instead of having to click something.

It is necessary to click somewhere within the gallery itself to give the gallery focus (and to enable the keyboard controls within the gallery).

3. I have the nav buttons set to "stage" in the theme settings, but they still land on the main image, as does the screen mode button.  I prefer no buttons of any kind touching the photos.  What can I do?

When setting imageNavPosition="STAGE", the image nav buttons are relative to the stage area rather than the image and on a small screen device where the image is displayed close to the stage borders, the image nav buttons may overlap the image. It is not possible to ensure that the image nav buttons never overlap the image. You could, however, disable the main image nav buttons by setting showImageNav="FALSE" (in the Main Image Options section) and, instead, set showNavButtons="TRUE" (in the Button Bar Options section) to display image navigation buttons in the gallery's Button Bar.

4. One thing that's not clear is whether I can upload images directly via FTP and have the site update automatically...if so, what directory do the images go in?

This is not possible. New images for a gallery should be uploaded within the Showkase interface.
However, it is possible to upload a complete Juicebox gallery folder to your web server via FTP and then import it into your Showkase installation via the 'Site -> Import' functionality.

5. When editing the order of thumbnails for a page, it would be nice if the thumbnails appeared in the editor as they do in the actual page.  Arranging a long vertical list of thumbnails that live together on a page horizontally doesn't make much sense.  A grid editor would be much easier to work with.

Please post feature requests in this forum thread. It keeps them all together and ensures that they are not overlooked.

Otherwise, Showkase is fantastic.

Glad you like it!

3 (edited by rkny 2013-09-05 13:42:39)

Thanks for the quick reply.

I should have mentioned I am using iOS7 on the iPhone.

The landscape viewing issue occurs when rotating, but reloading has mixed results.

On the gallery index page, landscape works perfectly. Rotating from vertical to landscape and back is seamless.

When a gallery thumbnail is tapped and "View Gallery" appears, rotating to landscape causes the thumbnail to be cropped at the bottom, and when rotating back to vertical, the cropped thumbnail remains.

When loading the site fresh in landscape view, the gallery index view is fine, but the gallery thumbnail is again cropped on the "View Gallery" page.  (I'm not convinced the "View Gallery" page is even needed.  It's not used on the desktop version...) if the site has been loaded from landscape initially, main image pages can be freely rotated from vertical to landscape and back, with one glitch*.

When tapping the "View Gallery" thumbnail, in a fresh loaded landscape view, the main images load somewhat properly, i.e. not zoomed in, but iOS7 introduces a dynamic nav bar at the bottom of the page which auto hides on vertical scroll.

*Because the showkase page is vertically static for mobile, the bottom toolbar in Safari doesn't hide itself, and the bottom of all main images are cut off in landscape mode, regardless of how or when the page is loaded.

Your forum software seems to have links disabled.

This is the view when rotated from vertical.

dropbox dot com/s/0io1kxndxcbftjb/Photo%20Sep%2005%2C%209%2025%2055%20AM.png

This is the view when landscape is loaded natively, not rotated from vertical...the nav bar is cutting off the dog's legs.

dropbox dot com/s/0q5u6rdlnjz06t8/Photo%20Sep%2005%2C%209%2025%2054%20AM.png

This is the gallery thumbnail view in landscape and after being rotated to vertical...

dropbox dot com/s/5dfgkbz1ox19z4f/Photo%20Sep%2005%2C%209%2026%2001%20AM.png

dropbox dot com/s/y3qwl0qxnterbuu/Photo%20Sep%2005%2C%209%2026%2001%20AM%20%281%29.png

I forgot to mention previously that swiping full images forward/back on the iPad (on iOS6) is somewhat laggy and not very smooth. I am using fade transitions. Tapping the nav buttons is very smooth, but swiping is delayed and jittery.

Thank you for providing further information and screenshots.

I'm not convinced the "View Gallery" page is even needed.  It's not used on the desktop version...

The Splash Page is used by default when a Juicebox gallery is displayed in Small Screen Mode.
For more information about Juicebox and Screen Modes, please see here.
If you like, you can disable the Splash Page by setting showSplashPage="NEVER" (in the Splash Page section).
Otherwise, you can force Juicebox to display your gallery in Large Screen Mode (which, by default, does not use the Splash Page) by setting screenMode="LARGE" (in the General section).

Your forum software seems to have links disabled.

You can use links. Just start your URL with http:// and the forum software will automatically convert it into a link.

When a gallery thumbnail is tapped and "View Gallery" appears, rotating to landscape causes the thumbnail to be cropped at the bottom, and when rotating back to vertical, the cropped thumbnail remains.

This is the view when rotated from vertical.

Because the showkase page is vertically static for mobile, the bottom toolbar in Safari doesn't hide itself, and the bottom of all main images are cut off in landscape mode, regardless of how or when the page is loaded.

Thank you for reporting these layout issues. I have notified the developers and they should hopefully be fixed in the next version.

I forgot to mention previously that swiping full images forward/back on the iPad (on iOS6) is somewhat laggy and not very smooth. I am using fade transitions. Tapping the nav buttons is very smooth, but swiping is delayed and jittery.

Try the suggestions in this forum post to see if any of them help.
Also, make sure that your images are not too large (file size). Try creating a test gallery with smaller images to see if this makes a difference.

We are currently investigating the layout issues you reported but, in the meantime, I have an update on another of your queries.

It is possible to add images to a gallery via FTP by uploading them directly to the gallery's 'images' folder (the gallery folder will be in the root Showkase folder and the 'images' folder will be inside the gallery folder) and then going to 'Edit (gallery page) -> Advanced (tab) -> Rebuild this Juicebox/SimpleViewer gallery'.

6 (edited by rkny 2013-09-09 05:05:51)

Thanks for the FTP tip.

I have one more small glitch to report.

In Safari 6.05, the row of thumbnails at the bottom of the screen has a rather annoying "blink" on load.  If you click the arrow left or right to advance the thumbnails, they load, then flash white, or blink.

Regarding choppy swiping on the iPad, my images are around 500k-1mb each.  I can load the full size tiffs (10-20mb each) onto the ipad's photo app and they swipe very smoothly.  I feel this is an issue with swiping in Juicebox.  As mentioned previously, the fade between photos is very smooth when I tap the arrows, so this seems to indicate that the problem is not the size of the images, but the method of displaying the next photo.

I made a test gallery with 300kb files and the same choppy swiping occurred.  The choppiness occurs right at the beginning of the swipe, as if the photo is hesitating to move.  I tested it with a variety of swiping motions, from slow deliberate swipes, to quicker flicks of the finger, and starting the gesture at a variety of different places on the image...left edge, center, and right edge...all displayed the same hesitation.

In Safari 6.05, the row of thumbnails at the bottom of the screen has a rather annoying "blink" on load.  If you click the arrow left or right to advance the thumbnails, they load, then flash white, or blink.

I do not see the thumbnails blink in Safari 5.1.7 (latest version for Windows) or in any other browser.
In order to troubleshoot this further, could you please answer the following. Thank you.
Does this happen with all your galleries or just one?
Do you see this only in Safari or in other browsers (e.g. Chrome) too?
Try creating a similar gallery with JuiceboxBuilder-Pro to see if the problem occurs in all Juicebox galleries or only the ones embedded in your Showkase pages.
Please post the link to a gallery which exhibits this behavior so that we can investigate further.

Regarding choppy swiping on the iPad

There will certainly be a difference between swiping images in a native app and in a web page within a browser.
What generation of iPad do you have?

8 (edited by rkny 2013-09-09 14:37:59)

I have the latest ipad 4, and the ipad mini.

The blinking only occurs in Safari desktop, not Firefox or Chrome.  It happens with all my galleries.

I will check a test gallery today.

Thanks.

Rob

*EDIT* Sorry, the thumbnail blinking DOES happen in Chrome too.  Not Firefox. 

The blinking can be random and not occur immediately, but I have been able to repeat it indefinitely.

I tested with a local Juicebox gallery and the blinking does not happen.

All the galleries here exhibit blinking thumbnails on Safari and Chrome on a Mac...

50f2.com

You mentioned that you allow links in forum posts, but have you tested this in Safari on a Mac?  This is what I get...

Warning! The following errors must be corrected before your message can be posted:
Too more links in message. Allowed 0 links. Reduce number of links and post it again.

What does "too more links" even mean?

Thank you for the additional information.
With regard to the blinking thumbnails, I have notified the developers and we will investigate further.

Does the choppy swiping happen in standalone Juicebox galleries or only within Showkase pages, too?

You mentioned that you allow links in forum posts, but have you tested this in Safari on a Mac?

On further investigation, we have an anti-spam measure in place on the Showkase forum which does not allow a user to post a link in their first message. After posting your first message, you should be fine to post links.

What does "too more links" even mean?

I expect that whoever wrote this does not speak English as their first language. I have changed the text to read 'Too many links...'.

To prevent icons touching the images, try setting Juicebox-Pro 'imagePadding' config option to something like 50. You can also play with 'imageNavPadding' and 'buttonBarPosition' options.

We are currently working on improved gallery and Splash Page sizing on mobile devices but, in the meantime, I have a couple of updates regarding your queries.

Try setting expandInNewPage="TRUE" (rather than the default value of "AUTO") in the 'General (Pro Viewers Only)' section of the Juicebox gallery page. For more information about this configuration option, please see here.

2. Is there a way to enable keyboard navigation immediately on page load?

This is possible but it requires the use of the Juicebox-Pro API and a modification to a Showkase file.
Depending on the theme you use, open the 'showkase\_themes\kosel\pagetypes\juicebox.tpl' file (changing 'kosel' to whatever theme you use) in a plain text editor and change the following code:

<!--START JUICEBOX EMBED.-->
<script src="{$ss_pageUrl}/jbcore/juicebox.js"></script>
<script>
    new juicebox({
        containerId : 'juicebox-container',
        galleryWidth : '{$galleryWidth}',
        galleryHeight : '{$galleryHeight}',
        backgroundColor : '{$backgroundColor}',
        baseUrl : '{$ss_pageUrl}/'
    });
</script>
<div id="juicebox-container">{$ss_SEOContent}</div>