Topic: auto size issues on Android

I have started working on updating my website and although it is appearing okay on my PC monitor and on an iPad, it is not auto reducing the size properly when I view it on an Android phone. The gallery image remains far too large to really do anything with it. An example of this can be seen at: djphoto(dot)com/work1

When I view the demos on both the Showkase and the Juicebox sites I am not encountering this problem. Please let me know what I can do to fix this. Thank you!

Re: auto size issues on Android

Try upgrading your Showkase installation from v1.0.1 to the current version (v1.0.4) as there have been many changes since v1.0.1. For a full list of changes please see the Version History.
Instructions on how to get the latest version and how to upgrade can be found here.

I believe I am running version 1.05. When I open the admin panel within the:  /work1 folder, it shows on the bottom:

"Showkase-Pro 1.0.5 | Build: 2013.06.18.14.04.26 | Terms of Use | © 2013 SimpleViewer Inc. All rights reserved."

Please look at the link I referenced in the initial posting above. I know the main site is not running version 1.05, but the one I am creating now within that subfolder should be 1.05. Is there something else I am missing there?

Sorry. I just noticed the Showkase v1.0.1 installation on your web server.

Is it the Splash Page for the gallery (on your Showkase home page) that you are referring to?
If so, the Splash Page crops (rather than scales) the Splash Page image to fit.
You could perhaps define a smaller image to be used as your gallery's Splash Page image using the splashImageUrl configuration option.
For a list of all available Splash Page configuration options, please see here.

Yes, it is the splash page on the home page I am referring to (as well as the test I set-up on the portfolio product page). I currently have the showSplashPage set for AUTO. When I look at the demo "Sarah Lee Photography" the problem does not existon an Android phone. It also appears that the image size from both sites when viewed on a PC are very similar. I would like to achieve the same result as when that page is pulled up. Can you tell me what settings were used on the Sarah Lee site or how to accomplish this?

One other thing that I have noticed is that on the demo site (Sarah Lee) the photo is visible as well as the company logo in the upper left corner (on Android phone). In my site the photo is greatly cropped, but then when clicking on it I can view it smaller, but then the logo disappears. The demo site works very nicely without clicking on photo to reduce and the site stays in tact with the logo not disappearing. I would really like to replicate the feel of it.

Please let me know what settings I need to change to do this. I appreciate your help!

The image on the Sara Lee demo home page is not a Juicebox gallery's Splash Page but a single image in a ListViewer gallery.

In my site the photo is greatly cropped, but then when clicking on it I can view it smaller, but then the logo disappears.

When you click on your Juicebox gallery's Splash Page, the gallery opens in fullscreen mode (without the page header) to maximise the amount of space available for the gallery on small screen devices.
If you do not want this to happen, you can have the gallery embedded directly in place of the Splash Page by setting showSplashPage="NEVER" (or screenMode="LARGE").
For more information about Juicebox and Screen Modes, please see here.

Your own gallery's Splash Page image is cropped considerably due to it being panoramic/widescreen. It has a very different aspect ratio to the gallery area on a mobile device which results in cropping to the left and right.

Try creating a more square-shaped image and use it as your gallery's splashImageUrl or try using a ListViewer gallery to replicate the Sara Lee demo home page instead.

Thanks for the help! I'm still trying a couple things and have another couple questions.

On acquaphoto(dot)com (not the demo, but the real site) the Kossel theme works fine on the Android phones I looked at it with. I see that some stuff was probably added, but is it possible to have just the gallery with the rotating images and the text block below (the other galleries and links are not needed)? On mine it is cropping the photo greatly and the images only auto rotate on a PC or tablet... not on the phone.   

I'm hoping the first question is possible, but if not... the iPhone simulation on the Juicebox site says to 'forceTouchMode' to true. I am not seeing "forceTouchMode". Where is that located and although this looks great on the demo how will it appear on a PC or larger tablet?

On acquaphoto(dot)com (not the demo, but the real site) the Kossel theme works fine on the Android phones I looked at it with.

acquaphoto.com was not created with Showkase. It is a WordPress site which uses the WP-Juicebox (the Juicebox plugin for WordPress).

is it possible to have just the gallery with the rotating images and the text block below (the other galleries and links are not needed)?

Yes. Create a Juicebox Gallery Page and add the text you require to be displayed below the gallery in the text editor.

On mine it is cropping the photo greatly and the images only auto rotate on a PC or tablet... not on the phone.

The photos in your gallery do not AutoPlay immediately on your home page because the gallery is displaying the Splash Page (and requires a click/tap from the user to open the actual gallery fullscreen).
If you would like the gallery to be embedded directly in place of the Splash Page, set showSplashPage="NEVER" (or screenMode="LARGE").
For more information on how Juicebox adapts to different devices and screen sizes, please see here.

I am not seeing "forceTouchMode".

The forceTouchMode configuration option was removed from Juicebox in v1.2.0. For a full list of changes, please see the Version History.
If you wish to force Juicebox to display the gallery in Small Screen Mode on all devices and in all browsers, it is now enough to just set screenMode="SMALL".
I have corrected the support page in question. Thank you for pointing this out.

how will it appear on a PC or larger tablet?

If you set screenMode="SMALL", the gallery will be displayed in desktop browsers in a similar manner to how it looks on a mobile device (i.e. an initial thumbnail page from which the visitor can select a main image to be displayed). The main difference is that there will be more thumbnails displayed per page in a desktop browser (due to the larger screen size). Try it in a sample gallery of your own.

Steven, I tried the options and do have the Auto Play now working on smaller devices (phones) with Splash Screen turned off. There is still one thing I am unclear on... at least for now :). I truly do appreciate the help!  I do like using the Auto Play and I don't care for using screenMode="SMALL" because of the sacrifice in appearance on larger screens. Is it the WordPress plug-in and/or WordPress that is responsible for putting the things I am looking for together as a full package?

I would like it to appear similar to acquaphoto(dot)com where both Auto Play, and auto scaling to both large and small screen sizes works. Can I get this with Showkase/Juicebox Pro or do I need WordPress and the WordPress plug-in to do this?

Is it the WordPress plug-in and/or WordPress that is responsible for putting the things I am looking for together as a full package?

A Juicebox-Pro gallery will look and function the same no matter whether it is embedded in a Showkase page (having been created by Showkase) or in a WordPress page (having been created by WP-Juicebox).
Only you can decide whether you need or want other features that are available in Showkase or WordPress.

I would like it to appear similar to acquaphoto(dot)com where both Auto Play, and auto scaling to both large and small screen sizes works.

A Juicebox-Pro gallery will AutoPlay in both Small Screen and Large Screen modes as long as the AutoPlay configuration options have been set correctly.
Also, the Screen Mode will be automatically chosen depending on the user's device and screen size as long as screenMode="AUTO".
This is true of any Juicebox-Pro gallery in any web page.

Currently, your gallery uses imageScaleMode="NONE".
This is likely to be causing scaling issues on a small screen device as you have instructed Juicebox-Pro not to scale your main images to fit the image area within the gallery.
I would recommend using imageScaleMode="SCALE_DOWN" instead.

Exactly what I was looking for- thanks!