Topic: Easy Setup?

I hope this isn't a stupid question.  I'm new to hosting a web site but I have all the hardware at home and a static IP now.  If I set up Ubuntu with Apache, will Showkase be a good fit to build the files I need for the site?
I don't know anything about coding but it looks like Showkase will take care of everything.  I just have to use the desktop app and put the files on my server.

Re: Easy Setup?

I just have to use the desktop app and put the files on my server.

Not exactly... Showkase is not a desktop application. Showkase is installed and run on the server itself (in a web browser interface) and, as such, all Showkase pages are created directly on the server so there's nothing to transfer to the server (other than the initial installation files).
Here are the Installation Instructions.

It's certainly very easy to install and start using Showkase. Check out the link above and the Getting Started guide below the Installation Instructions.
It'll probably take you longer to set up your web server that it will to install Showkase.
Showkase requires PHP (minimum version PHP 5.2.0) so you'll need to install that as well as Apache HTTP Server.
Please use a version of PHP between 5.2.0 and 8.1.16. There's currently an issue with Showkase under PHP 8.2 (due to a deprecated PHP function) which I have notified the developers about. This should be addressed for the next release but, in the meantime, just use PHP 8.1.16 (the latest version in the PHP 8.1 branch) and you should be fine.

I don't know exactly how much time you might need to spend configuring Apache/PHP as I've never set up a home web server before. Most commercial web servers are set up with PHP ready to go and configured to give users the least amount of trouble.

After setting up your web server but before installing Showkase, I'd recommend installing and running the Showkase Server Compatibility Test to make sure that your web server has all the basic functionality that Showkase needs. Here are the basic requirements:

• PHP version >= 5.2.0

• Safe mode should be off

• GD graphics library version > 2.0

• DOM XML parser extension installed

Further information can be found in the link above.

I hope this helps to get you started.

Thanks Steven, this definitely helps. I don't have the web server up yet, but what I'm looking for is ease of use to put up and maintain the site.  I appreciate your lengthy reply and I'll let you know how I make out!

-Matt

You're welcome! I hope you get on well with Showkase.
You should hopefully find that Showkase is easy to install and use but if you run into any difficulties, just let me know and I'll do my best to help you out.