Topic: Problems customizing a gallery [SOLVED]

Hello all,

I've just started using Showkase today and for the most part have got the hang of it. However, one issue I'm having is that changes I make to the settings of a gallery aren't working. For example, if I make a gallery and publish it, then decide that I don't want the image numbers to show I can't seem to change it. I uncheck the "show image number" box and save, then publish but nothing changes. I've tried refreshing and deleting the cache. If I make changes to the text of the gallery page the changes show up after refreshing. However, if I delete the gallery and create a new one with a different name but this time uncheck the "show image number" box before uploading the photos to the gallery it works. But I can't seem to make any changes after I publish it. I've tried rebuilding the gallery but that didn't work either. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks,

Re: Problems customizing a gallery [SOLVED]

Hello.

The problem is almost certainly a caching issue of some kind.

To make sure that your browser is not caching and displaying the older gallery page, try pressing Ctrl+F5 or, better still, completely clearing your browser's cache before reloading your gallery page.
I know you say that you've already tried this but it's worth trying again as there are no known bugs in Showkase which would result in the issue you describe.

Also, after changing some configuration options, try viewing the gallery page in a different browser, one that has not been used to view the original gallery page (before the changes). This should confirm whether the caching problem is client-side (browser-related) or server-side.

There is a chance that your web host uses server-side caching and even though the files on your web server are being modified by Showkase, older versions of those file could still be served to browsers for a certain amount of time.

I have an account with a web host that uses Varnish server caching. After I upload a new version of a file to my web server, the new version is not seen (and the old version is still served) for about 20 minutes afterwards. For this reason, I have Varnish disabled.

Please check in with your web host to see if they have server-side caching enabled on your hosting account and, if so, ask if they could disable it.

Caching can certainly be useful but it can also sometimes be a hindrance to development.

I hope my notes above help to resolve your problem.
Please let me know how you get on and if I can be of any further assistance.
Thank you.

Thanks Steven! You were exactly right that there was a server-side cache (24hrs!) on my web host. Once I disabled it everything is working now. Thanks again for you help, I was really pulling my hair out.

You're welcome!

I'm really glad that you've been able to resolve your problem.
Thank you for letting me know. It's most appreciated!

All the best!