Topic: Google analytics 4

I see that Google is transitioning to a new analytics system. The Property IDs seem to be a different configuration. Will these work with the current version of Showkase?

Re: Google analytics 4

Support for Google Analytics 4 was introduced in Showkase v1.7.5.

If you go to 'Site -> Site Settings' and expand the 'Google Analytics' section (at the foot of the page), you'll see a drop-down menu for the 'Tracking code'.
Version numbers are not mentioned but if you select 'Global Site Tag (gtag.js)' (and enter your 'Web property ID' above it), the code which is entered into your Showkase pages exactly matches the code shown on Google's own 'Google Analytics 4' support page here.

(Showkase still supports the older version of Google Analytics, too. Just select 'Legacy (ga.js)' from the drop-down menu for the 'Tracking code'.)

I hope this helps to answer your query.

I guess my older version explains this. I now made sure I'm on the mailing lists for updates etc.
I also had to submit for a new link since mine expired.

Links sent!

You can find instructions for Upgrading Showkase here.

Notes:

(1) When upgrading your Showkase site, please be sure to make a complete backup of your existing site first, just in case anything should go wrong and you need to reinstate your original files at a later date. You should not encounter any problems upgrading Showkase but it would be wise to have a backup of your site should anything unexpected happen. Also, if you have made manual customizations to any Showkase source files, then please note that they may be overwritten when you upgrade and you'll need a backup in order to reinstate them afterwards.

(2) Please remember that Showkase-Standard comes bundled with Juicebox-Lite (the free version of Juicebox) so, after upgrading your Showkase site, you'll need to reinstate your Juicebox-Pro files by following the Installing Juicebox Pro instructions here.

5 (edited by mrjw34 2021-06-26 18:24:42)

Thank you for the links!
I updated Showkase and although the version says it's the latest, the Google area seems to look just like the old version without the ability to expand it or have a dropdown menu.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0nynuypr7uirz … 1.png?dl=0

It's probably just a browser caching issue.
Try refreshing the settings page (Ctrl + F5).
Otherwise, try completely clearing your browser's cache before reloading the settings page.
It should look like this screenshot: [Link removed.]

It was a caching issue. My only issue now is  Google thing making sure the correct number is inserted since now there is the Account number, a Property number, and a Data Stream number. So happy they made it more involved!
Thanks for the help.

Showkase supports only the Web Property ID. If you need to add any extra parameters to the Google Analytics 4 code, then you'll need to add them manually to the Showkase source code.
Open your showkase/_themes/base/pagetypes/basetheme.tpl file in a plain text editor and you'll find the Google Analytics 4 code staring at line 10.
You can hard-code whatever extra parameters you like within this code and, after republishing your site (just click the 'Publish' button), the extra parameters will appear in the Google Analytics 4 code within all your pages.

OK, will stick with the Property ID.
This is from the basetheme.tpl file. Should the ID be in there somewhere?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mmkgnulj35uvp … 2.png?dl=0

Just enter the 'Web Property ID' in the Showkase interface (above the 'Tracking Code' input) and Showkase will handle the Google Analytics code for you (without the need to modify any source code manually).

I noted the basetheme.tpl file only because you mentioned other properties and if you want to add an additional Google Analytics property to the code (such as MEASUREMENT_ID_2 in the sample code provided here), then you would need to do this manually.

If you just want to use the 'Web Property ID', then Showkase can take care of this for you.

After a lot of fussing and frustration, I'm stick with the legacy analytics. Thanks for all the help.

OK, no problem!
Thanks for letting me know.