Topic: jbcore folder changed during Import

The 'Using an External jbcore Folder' section in the Juicebox Embedding Guide describes how to share the jbcore folder between multiple galleries, a nice optimization! I discovered that after using Import in Showkase on a gallery built with JuiceboxBuilder, the jbcore folder specified in the 'START JUICEBOX EMBED' script src in the resultant gallery's index.html file uses this technique. Now, instead of pointing to the jbcore subfolder that is copied to the gallery folder during Import, it points to the external shared folder _viewers/juicebox/jbcore. So why does Import copy the jbcore subfolder if the gallery's going to use a different jbcore folder?

Is it safe to delete the jbcore subfolder that is copied to the gallery folder during Import? As a test, I deleted it and have not seen any difference in the gallery or website's behavior. I'd like to delete it if it's not being used. I'm using the Showkase Boma theme v1.7.4 and JuiceboxBuilder-Pro v1.5.1.

Thanks,
Brian

Re: jbcore folder changed during Import

All Juicebox galleries within a Showkase site (whether created within the Showkase interface or imported) use the 'jbcore' folder from the 'admin/plugins/juicebox/master/jbcore' location (which is copied to the '_viewers/juicebox/jbcore' location on publishing so that no admin files are used when the site is viewed).

Unfortunately, I can't tell you why the 'jbcore' folder is copied across to the imported gallery folder as I am not the author of Showkase and did not make such design choices.
I expect that the complete gallery folder is copied in case there are other custom files within it that you might want to retain.
It is probably much better for the program to copy the entire gallery folder than to assume that the user will no longer want certain files.

In any case, once the gallery has been imported, the 'jbcore' folder within the imported gallery folder is redundant and can safely be deleted as the gallery will now be using the Showkase 'jbcore' folder.

Thanks for your reply, Steven. I agree with your assumption. Perhaps a note about it in the docs would help those of us who want to tidy up. Aside from the cruft, the space savings at ~277kb per gallery can add up if you have a lot.

You're welcome!

Perhaps a note about it in the docs would help those of us who want to tidy up.

Thanks for the suggestion!
I'd encourage you to post suggestions (for Showkase itself or its website) in the Feature Requests forum thread.
This keeps all the ideas together and ensures that they will be seen by the developers.
Thank you.