1 (edited by mrjw34 2018-04-15 19:57:42)

Topic: Copy from one domain to another

What would be the easiest way to copy a whole Showkase installation from one domain to another (on the same server)?
Do I need to do a setup on the new domain then copy? Can I even do a copy?
I thought by asking first I could save myself some time with trial and error!

Re: Copy from one domain to another

Please check out the Changing Your Installation Directory instructions. This should hopefully help.

If you run into any problems, you can always create a fresh Showkase site on your new domain and then:

(1) Retain the Showkase settings from your original site by manually copying the following files and folders from your original site to your new site (overwriting the default versions which will be in place after a fresh install).

• _data/sitedata

• _data/themedata

• _data/pagesprefs.txt

• _data/theme.txt

Do not copy the _data/pagesdata.txt file though, as this lists the pages present in each site (which will be different after a fresh install).

Also, if you use a custom logo via an image stored in the library, for example, then you might also like to copy the '_library' folder from your original site to your new site.

(2) Import all the pages from your original site (via 'Site -> Import') to save having to recreate all your pages from scratch. You can import multiple pages at once so recreating your original site should be relatively quick and easy.

Hopefully the 'Move or Rename Installation' instructions will work fine for you but the procedure above should also work fine as a backup plan.

Thanks a lot Steve.
I ended up doing a little of both the suggestions and got it all to work with a minimum of frustration.
Since I was actually copying the files to a new domain on the server for another site but keeping the original in tact, some things worked better than others.

Another question I had was whether there was a way to do a one thumbnail version for gallery pages. I know the same effect could sort of be done in a list viewer page, but there wouldn't be the snazzy overlays and type.

I'm glad you're making progress. Thank you for letting me know.

Another question I had was whether there was a way to do a one thumbnail version for gallery pages.

I'm not sure of the effect you're looking for but there's certainly nothing stopping you from creating a single-image Juicebox gallery. As you suggest, you could perhaps create a single-image ListViewer gallery (like the home page in this demo site) or maybe even just insert an image into a Basic page (via the 'Image' icon on the editor's toolbar).

I was just playing with the idea of having all my galleries be stacked on the left side of the page one on top of the other. Yeah I know, sounds sort of goofy but I'm always playing around with how things look on my site.

Here's another question. Can I prevent captions from loading on small devices only (phone size)? And can captions be loaded differently on various sizes? For instance on the desktop I have them below thumbs, but could they be overlayed on the image just on the phone size?

Can I prevent captions from loading on small devices only (phone size)?

Unfortunately, there are no configuration options available that you could use to do this.
You'd need to maybe use CSS media queries (in your site's 'custom.css' file) or the Juicebox-Pro API (specifically the getScreenMode() method) to detect when Small Screen Mode is being used to display the gallery (in your site's 'custom.js' file) and then hide the caption area, if appropriate to do so, via CSS (although it's not something I've tried so I don't know how successful it would be).

And can captions be loaded differently on various sizes? For instance on the desktop I have them below thumbs, but could they be overlayed on the image just on the phone size?

As long as your Juicebox-Pro gallery sets screenMode to AUTO (and allows Juicebox to determine the most appropriate Screen Mode for the device being used to view the gallery), then Small Screen Mode will be used on mobile devices where the captions will always be displayed on the overlay (on top of the image, where they can be toggled on and off with a tap to the screen).
captionPosition is a Large Screen Mode only configuration option. (It is ignored in Small Screen Mode.) If screenMode is set to LARGE (to force the gallery to be displayed in Large Screen Mode in all browsers and on all devices), then the captionPosition value will be used in all circumstances (across all browsers and devices).
(More information about Juicebox and Screen Modes can be found here.)

Hmmm. interesting. I checked the main Viewer area and the Viewer setting for each page and they are set to Auto. But my captions appear at the bottom of my phone. I'm wondering if I messed with the JB CSS a while back and changed something.

That's probably normal. In Small Screen Mode, the captions will be on the overlay (resting at the bottom of the screen). The images themselves will, by default, be vertically-centered so the caption text may not always be overlaid on top of the images, especially if you have a landscape image being displayed on a device in portrait orientation (where there will likely be space above and below the image). I hope that makes sense.

OK, I see the issue. I have my galleries set up with the splash screen option/full screen mode so the images appear (much) larger on small devices like the iPhone. Since I use that option, the caption gets pushed to the bottom of the browser window. This results in some weird spacing on the the edges of the caption area and bottom status bar. Especially in Safari. And especially since they took away Minimal UI. Which sort of happens now if you scroll a page but since this in full screen mode there is no scrolling. So the captions are technically being overlayed on the image but full screen mode expands the caption area in a weird way and cuts off some of the type..
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii22 … pz83xm.png

I went with this option since the images look so much larger in full screen mode than not. I think somewhere buried in the feature requests I suggested this larger view without having to use full screen mode. If I re-publish without the splash screen/full screen the captions appear over the smaller versions of the images correctly.

This is gets back to me to wanting to just turn the funky looking captions off at this point and not worry about the weird spacing. But as you said above, probably not doable.

If you really want to hide the caption area in Small Screen Mode, you could try adding the following code to your theme's 'custom.js' file, e.g. '_themes/boma/js/custom.js':

jb.onInitComplete = function() {
    var screenMode = jb.getScreenMode();
    if (screenMode === "SMALL") {
        $('.jb-area-caption').remove();
        jb.onExpand = function(expanded) {
            if (expanded) {
                setInterval(function() {
                    $('.jb-area-caption').remove();
                }, 500);
            }
        };
    }
};

It's pretty clunky and not at all a nice clean solution but it might at least give you a starting point to work with.

11 (edited by mrjw34 2018-04-21 16:13:13)

That works fine Steven, thanks!

You're welcome!
I'm glad you've been able to use the code. Thank you for letting me know.