Topic: Help with Boma

Hi,

Can the Boma template be modified to provide a gallery design such as the one at grainimages.com

Thanks,

Grayson

Re: Help with Boma

Boma is a theme which features a side menu.
If you want to try to customize a theme to match the website you quoted (which has a top menu), then it would be much easier to start with a Showkase theme which features a top menu, such as Kosel. Here's an example of a site using the Kosel theme.
The white backgound would be easy to achieve by going to 'Site -> Customize Theme -> Color Scheme' and selecting 'light' (rather than the default 'dark' for Kosel).
You could then create a Gallery Index Page and use this as your home page by making sure that the page it as the top of the tree on the 'Pages' tab (by dragging and dropping it there, if necessary).

The web site you quoted uses completely different code to that which Showkase generates so it's not going to be easy to replicate exactly (even with a customized theme).
If you want to customize a theme beyond what is possible within the Showkase interface, then please take a look at the Customization support section and the Creating Themes documentation but please note that creating a new theme (or modifying an existing theme manually) would require an in-depth knowledge of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
However, I hope my notes above at least point you in the right direction to get started.

Hi Steven:

it's been a while.

How will Showkase handle the grid of images?  Will it have different thumbnails for portrait and landscape oriented images?  Or will it simply show square thumbnails for all images.

Thanks,

Grayson

The thumbnails on a Showkase gallery index page will all share the same dimensions (whether the representing images are landscape or portrait).

You can change the aspect ratio of the thumbnails (by changing the 'Thumb percent height in the 'Site -> Customize Theme -> Gallery Index Pages' section) and you could also try changing the dimensions of the thumbnails (via the ss_totalIndexThumbWidth value in the '_themes\base\theme.ini' file, on line 27) but they will still all be the same shape and size as each other.

By default, the Gallery Index Page uses the first image in the gallery as the index page thumbnail.
If you want to change this (for example, if the image's aspect ratio does not suit the aspect ratio selected for the gallery index page thumbnails), then you can edit the gallery's page (from the 'Pages' tab), go the the 'Images' tab and select a new 'Index' image.
If you want to use an image which is not in the gallery, then you will first need to upload the image to the gallery (on the gallery page's 'Upload' tab). Next, choose the image as the 'Index' image (on the gallery page's 'Images' tab) and finally, in the gallery page settings, scroll down to 'Override Site Options' and deselect the 'Show index image' checkbox (to hide the index image in the gallery itself).

As far as I can recall, only one other user has requested a masonry style gallery index page (in this forum post in the Feature Requests thread).
You could add your voice to this request, too, if you like (just add a post to the Feature Requests thread).

I do not know how complex it would be to implement and I do not know what suggestions will be implemented in future versions but if you post your request in the Feature Requests thread, then at least your request will be seen and considered by the developers. Thank you.

(Please note that the line number refers to the current version of Showkase, v1.7.3.)