Topic: Google Cloud compatible?

Can Showkase be installed and managed on Google Cloud? I'm not at all familiar with website building and this tool looks exactly what i need.

Re: Google Cloud compatible?

I think it might be very difficult (if at all possible) to get Showkase working in a Google Cloud environment.
There are instructions for Serving Websites and PHP on Google Cloud Platform but the talk of PHP apps within Google Cloud suggests that Google Cloud does not provide a regular PHP environment which would support Showkase (and which Showkase was designed to work in).

It would be much easier to get Showkase up and running on web space provided by a regular web host (following the installation instructions here).

There are many web hosts that offer free web space which should be suitable for hosting a Showkase site. Showkase does not really need any special server requirements. Most web hosts providing web space and PHP 5.2.0 or later should be fine. Please see the System Requirements for more details.
Try a web search with terms such as 'free web hosting' but please bear in mind that with a free hosting account, you may get little or no support, less reliability (more server down-time) and fewer features.

Whatever web space you sign up for (whether it is a free or paid for account), be sure to run the Showkase Server Compatibility Test to check that your server has all the features Showkase needs.)

Unzipped the Showkase test to an ftp folder on a VPS. Accessed the ftp folder at home on a few different web browsers and ran the test. I'm not sure what i'm supposed to be looking for since all i see are just lines of code

Since links aren't allowed i'll just copy and paste what i saw on the first test

Basic tests
'; print 'TestResultOK?'; $overall = true; $ok = version_compare(phpversion(), '5.2.0', '>='); $overall = $overall && $ok; print 'Php version'.phpversion().''.okTd($ok).''; $ok = (@ini_get("safe_mode") != 'On') && (@ini_get("safe_mode") != 1); $overall = $overall && $ok; $status = $ok ? 'off' : 'on'; print 'Safe mode'.$status.''.okTd($ok).''; $gdVersion = getGDVersion(); $ok = version_compare($gdVersion, '2.0', '>='); $overall = $overall && $ok; print 'GD graphics library version'.$gdVersion.''.okTd($ok).''; $ok = class_exists('DOMDocument'); $overall = $overall && $ok; $status = $ok ? 'available' : 'not available'; print 'XML DOM functions'.$status.''.okTd($ok).''; print ''; $message = $overall ? '

Success: your server meets the basic requirements to run ShowKase. You should now run the file handling tests to ensure that your server has the correct permissions for ShowKase to work with files and folders.
' : '
Sorry: your server does not meet the basic requirements to run ShowKase
'; print $message; ?>
Tip: remove all test programs from your server after use

Seeing all the PHP code on the web page suggests that you do not have PHP installed (or configured correctly) on your web server.

Accessed the ftp folder at home on a few different web browsers...

Are you accessing the Showkase Server Compatibility Test's 'index.php' web page using ftp:// protocol?
You should be viewing the 'index.php' file using the http:// protocol (or https:// if you use SSL) like a regular web page.

Make sure that you have PHP (5.2.0 or later) installed and open the 'index.php' using a regular http:// or https:// URL, for example:

http://www.example.com/sktest/index.php

I hope this points you in the right direction.

Used the ftp protocol to access the ftp folder; not sure how to access through h ttp. I installed the latest PHP and used the h ttp protocol but it took me to a blank page.

Used the ftp protocol to access the ftp folder; not sure how to access through h ttp.

As an example, if you upload a file named 'abcdef.html' via FTP to your web space's root directory (usually called 'public_html' or 'ht-docs', depending on your server) and your domain name is 'example.com', then you would be able access the file by entering the following into your browser's address bar: http://example.com/abcdef.html

Therefore, if you upload the complete 'sktest' folder to the 'public_html' or 'ht-docs' directory on your server, then you can run the Showkase Server Compatibility Test by entering the following into your browser's address bar (using your own domain name): http://example.com/sktest/index.php

I installed the latest PHP...

Rather than try to set up and configure your own web server, I would recommend signing up for some web space with a regular web host.
Almost all web hosts (at least all the ones I've encountered) provide PHP already set up and configured.
You could sign up for some free hosting to start with to see how things go. As I mentioned above, Showkase does not really need any special features, just PHP 5.2.0 or later (although it is always wise to run the Showkase Server Compatibility test to make sure that the features required for Showkase are available and have not been disabled by the web host). You'd have nothing to lose and it would simplify things greatly.

Don't worry if you don't have your own domain name, the web host will provide one for you (usually a subdomain of their own name).

If you're looking for a few free web hosts to try, you might like to take a look at 000webhost, awardspace, hostinger and x10hosting.
Please note that we are not affiliated with any of the web hosts. They are just suggestions (and not recommendations).

Found the folder where all the content is stored for a website. Moved the Showkase test there, ran the tests, and everything is working perfectly! Greatly appreciate the advice and pointing me in the right direction.

Can't wait to try Showkase :)

I'm glad you've been able to work things out.
Thank you for letting me know.

I hope you get on well with Showkase!

I'm having a bit of difficulty at the moment trying to connect a domain i just bought to my vps that's hosting my site. Once i get that out of the way i'll try Showkase.

It would certainly be good to sort this out before installing Showkase, although you should be able to run Showkase's 'Setup' if you change Showkase's location/URL after installation. Please see the Changing Your Installation Directory support section for more details.

Hopefully you'll get your domain sorted out soon. A web search for "domain vps" brings up many results that look like they should be helpful and if you have a web host (rather than hosting everything yourself), then they should be able to help you out.

Just bought Showkase and it's working great so far. Few questions:

1. How do you center align text in the source box?
2. How do you create multiple galleries in Juicebox Pro on the same page like in the demo?
3. How do you increase the number of thumbnails in a single row at the bottom of Juicebox Pro?

Just bought Showkase and it's working great so far.

I'm glad it's going well!

1. How do you center align text in the source box?

You can center-align text (within the parent container) by using the CSS rule text-align: center; as follows:

<p style="text-align: center;">This text will be center-aligned within the content section.</p>

Make sure you click the 'Source' button to enter source mode in the editor first (to allow the entry of HTML code).
You might also like to change the 'Body text layout' ('Site -> Customize -> Theme') from the default value of '1-column narrow' to '1-column wide' which will change the width of the container which your text will be horizontally centered within.

2. How do you create multiple galleries in Juicebox Pro on the same page like in the demo?

I think you might be referring to a Gallery Index Page. With Showkase, you can have only one Juicebox gallery embedded per Juicebox gallery page but you can have an unlimited number of galleries listed on a Gallery Index Page (each represented by a thumbnail image).
To create a Gallery Index Page, go to the 'Pages' tab, click the '+ New Page' button and select 'Gallery Index Page'.
To list a gallery on the Gallery Index Page, just drag and drop the gallery page onto the Gallery Index Page (and then click 'Save' and 'Publish').
By default, the first image in the gallery will be used as the representing thumbnail image on the Gallery Index Page.
If you'd like to choose a different image, 'Edit' the gallery page (from the 'Pages' tab), go to the 'Images' tab and select the image you'd like to use in the 'Index' column (and then click 'Save' and 'Publish').

3. How do you increase the number of thumbnails in a single row at the bottom of Juicebox Pro?

'Edit' the gallery page (from the 'Pages' tab), scroll down to and expand the 'Thumbnails (Pro)' section and increase the 'Max thumb columns' value (and then click 'Save' and 'Publish').
This will increase the maximum number of thumbnails that can be displayed on the gallery page. The actual number of thumbnail displayed will depend on the size of the browser window and the thumbnail dimensions. You have no control over the size of the user's browser window but you could decrease the width of your thumbnails to allow more to be displayed in any given width (change the 'Thumb width', also in the 'Thumbnails (Pro)' section).