Topic: My website will not load & admin link for site won't either [SOLVED]

So I went to my website to check it out today because I need to update some images. This is what I got as a response just from going to my website homepage:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '{' in /homepages/26/d233035426/htdocs/index.php on line 12

And then when I try to go to the proper site for the showkase admin pages editor for my site, nothing loads so I can't actually get there and try to fix my homepage. How can I fix this to access my pages again and get my website visible??

Thank you!

Re: My website will not load & admin link for site won't either [SOLVED]

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '{' in /homepages/26/d233035426/htdocs/index.php on line 12

This sounds like your 'index.php' file may somehow have become corrupt (maybe through manual editing or your web host unsuccessfully reinstating your site from a backup).

And then when I try to go to the proper site for the showkase admin pages editor for my site, nothing loads...

However, this sounds like there is more to the problem.
Even if the 'index.php' file is missing, you should still be able to access the admin section of your site.
(The 'index.php' file is required to display the Showkase home page.)

Try extracting your 'showkase-pro-1.6.1.zip' file (you can download a fresh copy using the link from your purchase email if you need to) and find the 'index.php' file in the root 'showkase' directory.
Use this file to replace the 'index.php' file in on your web server (in your 'htdocs' directory).
If you are in any doubt that your existing 'index.php' file is being overwritten, try deleting it first before uploading the new version in its place.

This may help but as you are not able to access the admin section of your site, I suspect the problem may lie somewhere else.

Try installing and running the Showkase Server Compatibility Test.
Even if you ran the test before installing Showkase, please try again in case your web host has made any changes recently which are affecting Showkase functionality.
If any of the tests fail, it might give us a clue as to the nature of the problem. Also, there are troubleshooting tips in the link above.

Also, please contact your web host to see if they have experienced any problems or have made any changes recently which might somehow be contributing to your problem.
It sounds like there's a chance that there is a problem with PHP on your hosting account. Maybe your web host has changed the PHP version or a PHP setting which is adversely affecting your website.

I hope this points you in the right direction.

Ah awesome, Steven! Thank you for these suggestions, I will try these first thing this evening after I get home from work!

I very much appreciate the super fast response time! I'll let you know how it goes and what ends up working.

You're welcome!
Please let me know how you get on and if you need any further assistance.
Thank you.

Tried replacing the main index.php file with two different versions, an earlier one I had from a previous revision, and then the main one from the initial showkase unzip. Neither worked.

Then I installed and ran the Showkase Server Compatibility Test, and my results were this:
Basic tests
Test    Result    OK?
Php version    4.4.9    ✘
Safe mode    off    ✔
GD graphics library version    2.0.28    ✔
XML DOM functions    available    ✔
Sorry: your server does not meet the basic requirements to run ShowKase

...so ruh roh. I guess the problem then lies with my web host. Bummer! When I first installed showkase to my website and built my site it was so lovely and it worked so well. I hope I can get this sorted out with them so that I can still use the showkase tools. :/

Thank you again very much for your help! I really appreciate it!
Have a wonderful day!

Thank you for running the Server Compatibility Test.

Php version    4.4.9    ✘

The fact that your server has PHP v4.4.9 is almost certainly the cause of the problem. Showkase requires PHP v5.2.0 as a minimum (please see the System Requirements).
It is highly unlikely that you would have been able to setup or run Showkase at all on PHP v4.4.9 so I suspect that the PHP version that is running on your server has recently been downgraded.
You might be able to change the PHP version yourself in your web hosting account's online Control Panel.
Otherwise, please contact your web host and ask them if they can switch you over to PHP v5.2.0 (or later).
PHP v5.2.0 was released on 2 November 2006 so Showkase does not require a super-recent version of PHP but it does require v5.2.0 or later for certain functionality that was released in this version.

Awesome, I just figured out how to change the PHP settings of my web host, and my showkase website is back up and running wonderfully!

Thank you again so so very much!

Great stuff!
Thanks for the update.