1 (edited by daz 2012-12-16 08:55:30)

Topic: Just purchased, have a few questions.

Hi!

1. Is there any way to input hex code characters instead of using the colour picker? If you've picked a colour for one page type, and you need to replicate that colour on a different page type it can be *extremely* difficult trying to select precisely the same 'by hand' of course. It at least *looks* like there's some way to input text but If there is it's incredibly fussy/tricky.

2.a. I'm using a graphic for my name/title here because I want the anti-aliased text: http://www.daz-art.com/2d/ it appears to be smaller than it should be. And when I minimize the firefox window to be fairly small it grows to the intended size. Any way I can keep it from changing size?
2.b Is there support to use graphics instead of text for other menu items beyond that one? There doesn't seem to be and I'd really want anti-aliased text graphics were possible.

3. I'm finding the feature set extremely confusing right now to be honest. There seems to be a lot on the showcase customize juicebox page that says 'pro' in brackets. I purchased juicebox a while back, but bought Showkase today to get a more integrated feeling result. But right now I can't even appear to do something as simple as not display thumbnails. Alarmingly the 'thumbnails' options have 'pro' in brackets in the title and changing options doesn't appear to have any effect. Surely changing that option cannot be possible in the higher priced 'pro' version only? If so I wish that was made clear before purchase. But I'm sure I'm simply missing something here. I want dots as here: http://www.daz-art.com/marketing.htm (Juicebox and Komposer page 'old' site) rather than full thumbs as here : http://www.daz-art.com/2d/ (showkase page).

4. At the initial installation process, I got a little confused with dir structure and by the time I'd set it up correctly I was left with a couple of redundant folders (one is /showkase and the other is /showkase-1.0.0) at the root of my url that are empty but Core FTP cant/wont delete because it says they're not empty.

Any help very much appreciated.

Re: Just purchased, have a few questions.

1. Is there any way to input hex code characters instead of using the colour picker?

Yes. Type the hex value into the text input box.

2.a. I'm using a graphic for my name/title here because I want the anti-aliased text

Showkase top nav text looks anti-aliased here. What OS/browser are you viewing your site on? You can also try selecting a different menu font in Site -> Customize Theme.

2.b Is there support to use graphics instead of text for other menu items beyond that one?

No - Showkase menus use text, not graphics.

There seems to be a lot on the showcase customize juicebox page that says 'pro' in brackets. I purchased juicebox a while back, but bought Showkase today to get a more integrated feeling result.

The Juicebox Viewer options that are marked as 'Pro' require Juicebox-Pro to use. If you have already purchased Juicebox-Pro, upgrade your copy of Showkase Standard to use Juicebox-Pro by following these steps.

couple of redundant folders that are empty but Core FTP cant/wont delete because it says they're not empty.

try deleting the contes of those folders first , then deleting the folder.

Thanks for the prompt reply Felix. Re:

1. Ah, weird. Tried that last night and couldn't get it to work. Managed it today.
2.a. To be perfectly clear here, this isn't text. This is a .jpeg I made in Photoshop of text, so that it can be anti-aliased. The graphic seems far too small for its actual pixel size. ShowKase appears to be 'scaling it down' (it is not 1:1 pixels to screen resolution) and I can't get to the bottom of what is causing that. 

2. b. OK

Thanks for the link to upgrade Juicebox, I missed reference to that whole workflow. Will try.

To be clear on the issue with those folders, they are empty. There are no visible files in them. At least not according to CoreFTP. But it still wont let me delete the folders.

Thanks again.

4 (edited by Steven @ Showkase 2012-12-16 22:11:27)

2.a. To be perfectly clear here, this isn't text. This is a .jpeg I made in Photoshop of text, so that it can be anti-aliased. The graphic seems far too small for its actual pixel size. ShowKase appears to be 'scaling it down' (it is not 1:1 pixels to screen resolution) and I can't get to the bottom of what is causing that.

Showkase scales the Site logo depending on the size of the user's browser window.

To be clear on the issue with those folders, they are empty. There are no visible files in them. At least not according to CoreFTP. But it still wont let me delete the folders.

Make sure that your FTP program is set to show hidden files before checking that the directories are empty.
If this does not help, log into your web hosting account using a browser and try deleting the directories through the File Manager in your web hosting account's cPanel.

To avoid the logo image being resized, we recommend using a logo image with width of 256 pixels or less.

"To avoid the logo image being resized, we recommend using a logo image with width of 256 pixels or less."

This approach worked, thanks. The graphic appears to not be scaling down at the newer smaller size of x256.

"If this does not help, log into your web hosting account using a browser and try deleting the directories through the File Manager in your web hosting account's cPanel."

Worked, thanks!

"upgrade your copy of Showkase Standard to use Juicebox-Pro by following these steps. "

Followed the instructions, definitely seemed to work.

The one only one thing I'm left really scratching my head about is thumbnail options. In 'Thumbnails(pro)' options I have 'Use thumb dots' ticked. But after publishing, refreshing, and deleting firefox cache this just doesn't seem to work. I just don't have thumbbail dots as I used to have with my old site here: http://www.daz-art.com/vg.htm (new Showkase stuff: http://www.daz-art.com)
Is there something else I might also need ticked in conjunction with this for it to work?

A couple of other things and I think I'll be pretty happy with what I have (although Im generally happy with it, honestly) :) :

1. In the options for what to do with gallery images If the browser window is small (Image scale mode), I wish I could have 'push the image lower' as an option. I dont want to scale down, because Im not crazy about the slight image softening that occurs, and the 'none' option obviously crops so can look awkward. So what I really want to be able to do is push the image lower down the page to accommodate the full size, but not scale it down, If that makes sense?

2. On the main index page that shows all the galleries, there doesn't seem to be much that is customizable there. Like for example being able to change the size of the gallery preview windows, or change the order in which the actual galleries are listed top right. Is this the case, or am I missing something?

Thanks guys.

I just don't have thumbbail dots as I used to have with my old site here

Make sure 'showLargeThumbs' is set to true.

I really want to be able to do is push the image lower down the page to accommodate the full size, but not scale it down

Not sure what you mean by 'push the image lower down the page'?

Like for example being able to change the size of the gallery preview windows, or change the order in which the actual galleries are listed top right.

To change the order of pages in the top menu and the gallery index page, use the 'Nav Order' field in each page's 'Customize' tab. Higher numbers come later than lower numbers. Gallery Index thumbnail size is not configurable. The thumbnails resize to best fill the available area.

"Make sure 'showLargeThumbs' is set to true."

doh, that did it thanks.

"Not sure what you mean by 'push the image lower down the page'?"

I mean don't change the size of the image, but extend it 'down' the page, pushing all the stuff that's at the bottom of the page (like the copyright) lower.

Will play with the Nav order stuff thanks.

I mean don't change the size of the image, but extend it 'down' the page, pushing all the stuff that's at the bottom of the page (like the copyright) lower.

This would mean dynamically changing the size of the gallery depending on the dimensions of the main image being displayed. Such functionality is not supported.
Perhaps your best course of action would be to continue to use 'SCALE' or 'SCALE_DOWN' for the imageScaleMode but to experiment with the size and quality of your source images so that 'the slight image softening that occurs' is kept to a minimum.

Ok, thanks for the help.