1 (edited by artwindows 2015-11-28 23:16:49)

Topic: Captions for Images problem

well, all has been going good with a couple of exceptions. I just realized that when I go to a gallery page and select IMAGES so that I can add the captions, etc, there's a major limitation.

Story:
I have a lot of photos in some of the galleries.  For example, I have over 400 photos in one gallery.   So I select ALL  and I select CAPTION, and I add in {iptcdescription}  so that it takes that description line in each file and adds it in.  Well, if more than 142 photos in a gallery, then a yellow list of notices come up from 143 on, and says some kind of offset problem.  I have a photo of it. 
So, all of the captions correctly go into the files up to photo number 142, and then nothing goes in there.   This was confirmed with 2 galleries I have with over 142 photos.

Same area, problem 2:  I selected all of  the _blank  section, to either DO or UNDO the check mark, and another yellow list of notices comes up from image 166 on where it DOES NOT SELECT IT after you press UPDATE.

Are these known glitches? because , there doesn't appear to be a workaround for it..  I tried to select one by one, all the additional ones, but of course, then it's changing the original ones, which were ok, for some reason, even though they're not selected.  It sort of messed it all up now. If this is the case, I won't be able to title all of my photos with my IPTC information which I've been working on for years.  Anyway, please let me know if this is a known problem and IF it can be resolved easily.  Thanks

Re: Captions for Images problem

There is almost certainly a PHP limit being reached when Showkase tries to process your large gallery.
Each image has a number of different variables attached to it and a certain limit might be exceeded when your gallery reaches a certain number of images.

First of all, try increasing the max_input_vars PHP directive on your web server. (Please see here for details).
The max_input_vars PHP directive might be set to 1000 so try increasing it to something higher like 5000 instead.
Your web host should be able to help you out with this.

If the value of max_input_vars is not the problem, then the memory_limit PHP directive is the next most likely candidate.
The default value for the memory_limit directive in the current version of PHP is 128M (as noted here) so if yours is lower than this, I would recommend increasing it to 128M to see if this helps.

Hopefully increasing max_input_vars and/or memory_limit will solve your problem.

Also, please ensure that you are using the latest version of Showkase (v1.4.1).
Version 1.3.4 introduced "More efficient use of server memory allows more galleries in one web site.". (Please see the Version History for a list of changes between versions.)
If necessary, instructions for upgrading Showkase can be found here.

Thanks. That helps a lot and I'll try to update that info on my admin page or I'll contact Hostgator. I'll keep you posted.

Hostgator changed it to 5000 for me.. and memory was already at 250M

Interesting, I tried it again.. generating the captions on the 420 or so photos.. Now it's only showing some of the captions..  like it skips a bunch of them..  I DID not get that notice though that basically said anything after 142 was not being accepted.. So changing that DID something to correct that, but the images only have some of the photos with captions, when they should ALL have captions from the IPTC description area.. I put in{iptcdescription} as before, so that should be correct. Tried it twice, and neither time came back with a notice.. just said images updates or something.  So any ideas on what's causing that?  Before, at least they all filled in properly until image 142 which is where they were just blank.  Yes, I'm selecting ALL of the caption area from he bottom of the input area. They all get checked as well.  Thanks for any input.  Rick

It sounds like increasing max_input_vars has solved the problem with the error messages.

Try giving all your images the same text caption (rather than an IPTC caption) to see if the text is applied to all images.
If it is, then check your images to make sure that they all have IPTC captions embedded within them.
If not, then check the gallery's XML file (open the gallery's 'config.xml' file directly in your browser) to see if the <caption> tags have been populated with the text. This should let you know whether the problem is with the writing of the data to the gallery's XML file or with the display of the captions in the gallery.

You might also need to clear your browser's cache after making any changes and before checking the 'config.xml' file or viewing your gallery.

I hope this points you in the right direction.

6 (edited by artwindows 2015-12-02 04:34:05)

So weird..  Here's what I did so far:

1) Tested changing all names to one name.. 
Results:  Worked.. all images had same name

2) {iptcdescription} again.. and sure enough, it only does some of them and not in any particular order, but the same ones each time.  I did check the images to see that they were all there, and they are.. All the descriptions are filled in.  Funny thing is, it worked before, just that it only went to 142  until we changed the vars to 5000..

3) Emptied Cache does nothing different
4) Checking config.xml:  the captions that are missing, are missing in there too.

So, I'm not sure what's going on unless the config.xml file is corrupted? 

I just tried another folder of images.. and found 1 that will not list the caption, same thing. but a lot less images in this folder.. so all worked but 1. Trying to figure out what's different about that file and the IPTC entry.  There's something that says LEGACY, but not sure if this is something to do with it.  I have to research further on that issue, unless you have other idea.

Also, I tried a different browser. Same issue.

It's feeling like its something with the iptc image file as is quite consistent.  I don't recall 100% if it did work originally but I'm pretty sure it did. That's the weird thing.  FYI If I type in the caption for the ones that don't populate, and press update and check it, then the new hand typed captions are there. So it's likely something with my image files that I've worked on over the years.  It's just finding out what the secret is.. Would be nice to figure out..

UPDATE:  I went back to my original Juicebox app without ShowKase to try to generate the gallery to see what happens..  In the standalone JB, everything worked and all of my captions are there!  So, I'm now back to thinking that it's a corrupted config.xml file perhaps???

Any ideas? Thanks for your time..

IPTC data can be written to a file in different ways (binary vs XMP block) and JuiceboxBuilder-Pro (an Adobe AIR application) and Showkase (a PHP web application) will certainly be using different code and methods to extract the metadata.
It is possible that the problem lies in the way that the IPTC data has been written to the images.
Have you embedded your captions into all your images using the same imaging program?

If you like, please upload a couple of test images somewhere (one which works in Showkase and another which does not) and I'll take a look to see if I can figure out what might be causing the problem.
(You could zip them and upload the file to a file sharing service such as Dropbox.)

Absolutely.  I'll send via Dropbox link.
Most of these were done years ago over a 10 year period using different versions of Adobe Bridge.  If I used anything else, I'd have to think about it. It's possible I wrote a few with Lightroom maybe 5 years ago, but I'm not sure. 
I'll work on this later. Thx again.

Do you have a suggestion as to best app to write that with? On a Mac.
I did re-write a couple of images last night to test if that was the problem.  I took a file that wasn't working and made a new copy, added the description and replaced the old image. This was done in latest version of bridge 2015. When I regenerated the new gallery it did not populate still.

FYI, it's always a problem with populating at the point of pressing UPDATE on the edit image page. Right then I know it didn't work because it doesn't show up I n the list with the description. Just empty.

Do you have a suggestion as to best app to write that with? On a Mac.

I would expect any Adobe program to be fine (although I can't be certain without trying them all individually).
I've just checked and entering IPTC information via Photoshop CC works in both JuiceboxBuilder-Pro and Showkase.

I'll explore it further and will send you files that work and don't work.. hang on.

11 (edited by artwindows 2015-12-03 20:35:25)

Here's what I figured out.

I always do my own "resizing" prior to import, so I never select resize images in ShowKase. I like it that way so I know exactly what they'll look like and I won't lose any more resolution.. (not that there's much anyway.. :)
However, on my photos with the problem,  I discovered that if I go in to each one that isn't working and I do a SAVE AS and overwrite the file, even though I don't change or redo the previous iptcdescription, then they all work!  I have to do every broken file though.  Here's why they're not all working:  USUALLY whenever I do my photos, I select photoshop's old  SAVE FOR WEB choice and those all worked with Juicebox.. nothing was affected.  But apparently, SHOWCASE does not like those files.. has a real issue with them.  Because when I go back to these same files and do a regular SAVE AS, and then overwrite the same file, they all work again.  I have a lot to do, but that's what it's going to take.  The other option, of course, is to do a RESIZE in Showkase which MIGHT work..  BUT, I don't really want to resize them as most will get smaller than what I have, and some may be forced larger and that will mess up the photo.  IS there a way for me to select RESIZE so it re-writes the file, but not have it really change the current size?   Otherwise, not sure what will happen. Maybe good, maybe bad.

Thanks again.. Hope this info will be helpful to others as well..  those who have a large gallery, and who used SAVE FOR WEB command, and also added in the IPTC later.
Any other ideas, let me know.. :) Rick

Thank you for the Dropbox link.
I was able to download the '2000NO.zip' file.
I tried all 5 images in a Showkase Juicebox gallery page using all default upload module settings and the IPTC description {iptcdescription} was extracted successfully for all 5 images.

I have to do every broken file though.

It certainly sounds like there may be a problem with the way that the IPTC data has been written to the files which is causing the PHP implementation of the IPTC extraction to fail.

I have to do every broken file though.

You could perhaps run a batch process to re-save all the files you plan to upload for your Juicebox gallery pages at once. (This would save you from having to open and re-save each image individually.)
I use Irfanview for simple batch process routines but you should be able to run a batch process on multiple images using other imaging programs such as Photoshop.

The other option, of course, is to do a RESIZE in Showkase which MIGHT work.

Try resaving an image in Showkase by setting the 'Max width' and 'Max Height' to the exact dimensions of the source image. Showkase should resave the image with the specified 'Quality' setting. (The dimensions of the image will not change.)

thanks.. that's strange.. Makes me wonder if dropbox perhaps re-saves files during storing or sending, for some reason.  Why would it work on yours, same files, and not mine?  I confirmed they were the files..  And you didn't resize them on import?

Anyway, I'll resave what I need to, just strange it worked on yours.

REGARDING YOUR STATEMENT BELOW:
Try resaving an image in Showkase by setting the 'Max width' and 'Max Height' to the exact dimensions of the source image. Showkase should resave the image with the specified 'Quality' setting. (The dimensions of the image will not change.)

So Max height and Max width setting will preserve the size that they're at already, but re-save them?  I'll try that as that can be a good answer to do quickly. Not a big deal, just needed to know why they weren't working.  Thanks again..

Oh, and when I get this site done really nicely, you're welcome to use it as a sample demo.  I would LOVE to see an entire load of demos rather than just the few you have.  People should submit them to you so we can all see what can be done.. :)  Just a thought.

Why would it work on yours, same files, and not mine?

That's a very good question. Unfortunately, I do not know.

And you didn't resize them on import?

That's right. I didn't resize them on import.

Anyway, I'll resave what I need to, just strange it worked on yours.

Indeed. At least you have a workaround (resaving the images before import) that seems to work consistently.

So Max height and Max width setting will preserve the size that they're at already, but re-save them?

If 'Max width' and 'Max height' are both greater that the actual dimensions of the source image, then the image will not be resized or resaved.
If 'Max width' and 'Max height' are less than the actual dimensions of the source image, then the image will be resized with the specified dimensions and 'Quality'.
If 'Max width' and 'Max height' are exactly the same as the actual dimensions of the source image, then the image will be resaved at the same resolution and with the specified 'Quality'.

Oh, and when I get this site done really nicely, you're welcome to use it as a sample demo.

Thank you for the offer. I'll certainly bear it in mind.
As well as the sites on out own demos page, we occassionally feature user's Showkase sites in our blog (such as in this Showkase Featured Websites entry) and on our Facebook page.