Topic: gallery problem on smartphone

I apologize Steven, but new problem from before. I am using Showkase Pro 1.4.0 and it is working properly on Firefox, IE and Chrome on the desktop. However the Juicebox gallery is not scrolling or allowing the individual pictures to be selected to view one at a time and then just scroll to the next on an Android phone. I have tried both Chrome and the standard Android browser, both with the same results. It does show the thumbnails and indicates that there are more more pages ahead (ie. 1 of 3) but does not move properly from one to the next. Please let me know what may be causing this problem. Here is one of the problem galleries http://djphoto-video.com/location/.

Re: gallery problem on smartphone

Thank you for reporting this problem.
It looks like a CSS conflict between Showkase and Juicebox which manifests itself only when a Gallery Title is displayed on a thumbnail page in Small Screen Mode.
I have logged a bug report but workarounds would be to avoid the above combination of circumstances by either:
(1) not using a Gallery Title, or
(2) setting screenMode="LARGE", or
(3) setting showSplashPage="AUTO", or
(4) setting showSmallThumbsOnLoad="FALSE" and showSmallThumbsButton="TRUE".
I realise these are not ideal solutions but hopefully they will keep you on the right track until the bug is fixed.

I have logged a bug report but workarounds would be to avoid the above combination of circumstances by either:
(1) not using a Gallery Title, or
(2) setting screenMode="LARGE", or
(3) setting showSplashPage="AUTO", or
(4) setting showSmallThumbsOnLoad="FALSE" and showSmallThumbsButton="TRUE".
I realise these are not ideal solutions but hopefully they will keep you on the right track until the bug is fixed.

I went with not using the Gallery Title... not loving it, but seems to be the best choice for the time being. After clicking on a thumbnail so the photo can be seen larger works while the phone is held in portrait mode. When rotating  to landscape mode it remains very small. Shouldn't it be sizing the image up to fill the width? A good example of what I am talking about can be seen at http://djphoto.com/location/. The 3rd image across has a very wide aspect ratio, but you don't experience that at all when rotating the Android phone to horizontal.

Shouldn't it be sizing the image up to fill the width?

Juicebox will scale the image to fill the gallery's width only if there is sufficient height to do so.
The gallery needs to have enough space in both dimensions to scale the image so that it fills the gallery's width.
If your gallery was taller, then your wide image (Image #3) would be able to be scaled larger (in both dimensions, retaining its aspect ratio) and it would become wider (and taller).

By default, a Juicebox Galley Page will display the header at the required height and will then display the gallery with the bottom of the gallery resting at the bottom of the browser window. This is always the case whether the page is viewed in a desktop browser or on a mobile device.
Your logo is taking up more height than a standard text heading would, resulting in less height available for the gallery.
This will be most apparent on a mobile device in landscape mode.

You can compensate for this by instructing Showkase to increase the height of the gallery.
Edit your Juicebox Gallery Page, scroll down to the 'Override Theme Settings' section and enter a positive number for 'External fit px' to increase the height of the gallery by this number of pixels.
Try a value such as 200 for a starting point.

Hopefully this will help with your gallery's display on small screen devices.