Topic: multi size image support [SOLVED]

I'm using Juicebox Pro within Showkase. Everything was working fine until... in order to take advantage of multi-size image support I went into the customize viewer tab and ticked the boxes large, medium and small. Now whenever I update and publish, rather than Showkase opening a browser page with the published site it instead opens a window with the correct address followed by "publish&token followed by a very long number. If I uncheck those selections it once again will bring me to the published site. 

So the first question is what am I doing incorrectly with this?

Second question is why is it not placing any images within the large or small folders within the directory?

Re: multi size image support [SOLVED]

It doesn't sound like you're doing anything wrong.
I've just tried to replicate the problem you describe but everything seems to be working as expected for myself.

With a fresh Showkase v1.3.6 site, I created a Juicebox gallery page using default settings.
I then went to 'Site -> Customize Viewers', selected all image sizes in the 'Multi-size Images' section and clicked 'Update' and 'Publish'. The gallery was displayed in the browser and small and large images were created in the gallery folder's 'images/small/' and 'images/large/' folders.

My test above suggests that the problem may lie somewhere within your own setup rather than with Showkase functionality (which seems to be working OK for myself).

I notice that your web site uses Showkase v1.3.2.
Please try upgrading to the latest version of Showkase (v1.3.6) following the upgrading instructions here.
If the problem is related to a PHP memory or timeout issue (which is possible if you have many gallery pages and images which Showkase has to process), then upgrading may help as Showkase v1.3.4 introduced the following changes:

• More efficient use of server memory allows more galleries in one web site.

• Increase time limit for publishing large websites (if allowed by server).

(Please see the Version History for a full list of changes between versions.)

Hopefully upgrading Showkase will help. Otherwise, if you have access to the PHP settings for your web hosting account, please check the PHP MEMORY_LIMIT and MAX_EXECUTION_TIME values and try increasing them. Your web host should be able to help you out with this if necessary.

If you continue to experience difficulties, then it might also be worthwhile running the Showkase Server Compatibility Test to see if any tests fail.
You may have already run the test prior to installing Showkase but if your web server has changed anything recently, then running the Showkase Server Compatibility Test again may help in diagnosing the cause of the problem.

Thanks for the reply. I actually am using Showkase 1.3.6, but in a subfolder where I am working on a site redesign.

Okay, I have discovered something that may somehow be the cause. I am using the Juicebox Photoshop plug-in to initially prepare the galleries. Some of the galleries output fine and as soon as it's done with the script it opens and shows the gallery in a browser. However, some open the browser but nothing shows- it's just blank. The whole gallery is small, only around 25-images... and the image folder is being populated with all of the files. Clicking on the index file will launch the gallery, but still no pictures show. Manually dragging the files into the Showkase upload box shows them all be uploaded successfully, but when going to the sort window they do not appear. It is always the same 5 out of 25-images that will not upload. I have gone into Photoshop and manually resized and saved these five as jpegs and tried uploading... same problem. Any idea what can possibly be preventing Showkase/Juicebox from accepting these pictures? If I double click on them they open in a browser just fine, but for some reason the gallery doesn't seem to like them.

BTW, I did try running the SK test and everything in each tab came back as okay.

I use the multi-size function - but probably take the long way around:
I export the images I'm going to use from Lightroom in the largest recommended size:  2048 x 1536
When I upload - Before I upload - I go to the settings on the right, click the resize images box and define the largest size I'm uploading (2048 x 1536).  Then I save those settings.
Then I upload and publish.  Works on my desktop, iPad and iPhone.

http://mark-friedman.com

However, some open the browser but nothing shows- it's just blank.

That is certainly a problem and should not happen (although I have been unable to replicate this problem myself).

It is always the same 5 out of 25-images that will not upload.

If you find that you are having trouble with specific images, then please upload them somewhere (you could perhaps zip them and upload the zip file to your web server or a file sharing service such as Dropbox) so that I can try to replicate the problems you are experiencing myself and investigate further.
Thank you.

The other thing that is strange is when I access the the gallery directory via ftp, I can see the files are there and in fact now there are many copies since I have tried many times to upload them. So they are uploading successfully, but refuse to show either on the web or even in the sort folder within Showkase.

I placed them at: djphoto-video.com/show_jb_test.zip

Please let me know what you find- thanks!

Steven, please let me know when you have grabbed the files so I can remove their access from directory- thx.

I've downloaded the zip file, thanks.
However, I still cannot reproduce any of the problems you report.

I created a gallery (with only your unmodified images) using the Photoshop plugin and the gallery was created successfully and displayed in a browser without issue.

I then created a Juicebox gallery page within Showkase (again using only your unmodified images) and the images displayed both in the gallery's web page and on the Showkase page's 'Images' tab (where images can be sorted). I then went to 'Site -> Customize Viewers' to add support for multi-size images and everything worked as expected. (The small and large images were added to the gallery's 'images' folder and the smallImageURL and largeImageURL entries were added to the gallery's 'config.xml file.)

I don't see anything obviously strange about your images (and they seem to work fine in all applications I have tried them in).
I do not know if this will help but you might like to try re-saving your images stripping out all metadata (EXIF and IPTC information) to see if this makes a difference.
I realise that this might not be a workable solution to your problem but it might be interesting to try for testing purposes.

All EXIF data is removed and I did get it to display the gallery after running the script, but still no luck within Showkase. What's really strange is once again it is in the folders within the directory, but Showkase just doesn't recognize it being there... and always the same exact images. If I re-upload them again it just puts another set there (with "_1" added to the name).  I have renamed the images and uploaded, tried creating a different gallery name but nothing seems to work. To say this is driving me crazy is an understatement.

What else can I try?  I need these pictures to be visible.

I still do not know what might be causing your images to not show up in Showkase.
The fact that they did not work in a gallery created with Photoshop suggested that the problem might lie with the images themselves but I have used them successfully in both the Photoshop plugin and Showkase.

Try reinstalling Showkase on your web server. You will not lose any custom pages in doing so. Just go through the upgrade process but with the same version of Showkase that you are currently using (v1.3.6).
This should ensure that all core Showkase files are present and correct on your web server (just in case something happened during the initial upload which resulted in corrupt or missing files).

Also, try clearing your browser's cache (or try a different browser) in case there is some strange caching problem going on.

When you say the images do not appear on the 'Images' tab within Showkase, are the images listed (but with no thumbnails displayed) or are they not represented at all?

Also, if the images do not show up in a Juicebox gallery within Showkase, it might help if I could see the gallery for myself so please post the URL to your gallery's web page so that I can investigate further. Thank you.

Edit:
The only other thing I've noticed is that all four images in your zip file have spaces in their filenames.
I know you said that you have tried renaming the images but I do not know what you have renamed them to.
Try using only web-safe alpha-numerical characters (a-z, A-Z, 0-9) and not other characters such as spaces to see if this helps.

12 (edited by dennis 2015-03-26 13:12:27)

I reinstalled Showkase but still no change. I see what you are referring to as far as web safe names and you are correct, it was my oversight, but I see that Showkase automatically renamed them appropriately. Just in case though I went back and re-uploaded some correctly from the start- still no change.

I have tried using a different browser- same results. Also, all of the images in other galleries on the same website work fine. These problem images when uploaded to the other galleries though, still don't work. Not sure if I mentioned that the other day.

The images do not appear on the 'Images' tab within Showkase or on the "Sort" tab or anywhere. The only place they can be seen is if I go through FTP to the directory. I can see they are there in the images folder, thumbs folder, but not the "large" or "small" folders. The other photos that show on the site are in all of the folders- including the "large" and "small" folders. 

Is there anything with Juicebox that can or should be re-uploaded to the directory? The URL to the problem directory is: www.djphoto-video.com/people.

Unfortunately, I'm still at a loss to explain why Showkase seems to be ignoring these 4 images.

I notice that your gallery displays 11 images and only those 11 images are listed in the gallery's 'config.xml' file. Juicebox is displaying all images listed in the XML file so the problem seems to be with Showkase rather than Juicebox.

As I mentioned, I cannot replicate this problem myself. I created a Juicebox v1.4.3.2 gallery within Showkase v1.3.6 with your 4 images (without any modification or renaming) without issue.

One variable in the equation is the web server but I cannot think of any settings which might be causing the problem on your web server but not mine.

I would be happy to investigate further but I would need access to your web server and Showkase site.
If you are agreeable to this, then please let me know and I will send you a message with an email address where you can forward your FTP and Showkase login details to me. Thank you.

That's fine, please send info. Thanks

Please check your messages. I have sent you an email.
Thank you.

Ultimately, updating the PHP at the host to 5.5 from 5.4 resolved this odd issue that was occurring. 

For those that read these support topics to either fix problems they are encountering or just for general future knowledge, I want to say that the level of support and dedication that Steven put into finding out where the problem stemmed from was outstanding!

Thanks for your time and help!

Thanks for your time and help!

You're welcome. I'm glad everything is now working as expected.
Thank you for keeping me up to date with developments and for allowing me access to your web server (which certainly made troubleshooting that much easier).