Topic: 500 Internal Server Error when accessing home page

When I go to my url ronimartin.com I get a 500 Internal Server Error. I can view my pages if I go directly to them ronimartin.com/portfolio/ but not the main index page. My Showkase files are in the root folder, not a subfolder.

Re: 500 Internal Server Error when accessing home page

It sounds like there may be a problem with the 'index.php' file in the root of your Showkase installation (in your case, your web site's root directory).
Try re-uploading a fresh copy of the file from the extracted Showkase zip file (in the root directory alongside the '_themes' and 'admin' folder) to see if this helps.

Just tried that. Unfortunately no luck. Any other ideas?

Try installing and running the Showkase Server Compatibility Test just to make sure that your server has all the features Showkase needs.
If it passes all the tests, then at least we can rule these factors out.

Thanks, I did that too. Everything checked out. I did have to ask my host to fix a sessions error the first time I installed a while back. Not sure if that would have anything to do with it. It also will work if I move everything to a subfolder but then my home page url would have to change. If I were to try removing the site and starting from scratch, would i be able to re-upoad my site without having to rebuild it? If so, what's the best way to do that?

Thanks for your help!

I am still unsure as to what the cause of the problem is but perhaps the following links will allow you to find a suitable workaround.

It also will work if I move everything to a subfolder but then my home page url would have to change.

Please see the Showkase Home Page section in the User Guide which deals with this scenario.

If I were to try removing the site and starting from scratch, would i be able to re-upoad my site without having to rebuild it?

Please see the Site Backup and Restore section in the User Guide which should hopefully help.

A couple more ideas.

Do you have access to the server daily log – that's the long detailed one that shows every browser request and the server response? There might be some more information in there for the time the error occurred.

What are the permissions on the index.php file in the root?

Backup your index.php file, create a new index.php in a text editor with the following content and upload it to the root

<?php
print "Hello World";

If that one gives a 500 error then it's definitely something to do with the server and you should take it up with your server admin or helpdesk.

If it displays 'Hello World' in the browser then is there any difference in the permissions on this new index.php file and the old one that didn't work? Some servers will not run a php file if they think the permissions are not restricted enough to be secure.

jack

I contacted my host and they were able to fix it. I think it may have been something on their end. All is working now. Thanks!