Topic: http error on upload

Hello, Steven! Glad to see Showkase is up, alive and well! Long time no see! I moved my gallery to a new server a couple of years ago and haven't made changes to it since. It's bobsgallery.digido.com.

I've decided to upload some new images for the first time since moving to this new server and have an Http error. The image appears to upload fine, 100% and then it shows the yellow error triangle next to it with 0% and when I mouse over the triangle it says "Http error". I've tried "html 5 upload" "basic upload" and "flash upload" and get the same error with each method. I then switched from Chrome on the Mac to Safari and got the same problem so it isn't browser-specific.

I then tried the server compatibility test, and it passed all tests fine. To run the server compatibility test,  since I already have a working Showkase site, I temporarily moved the showcase root level files (not the folders) into a temporary folder to hide the php and put the contents of the sktest folder at the root level. This ran the test as soon as I went to bobsgallery,digido.com. Then I restored the gallery and all appears to be working except for the upload problem. I've done everything I can think of. I do recall having some issues with permissions long ago, but momentarily changing EVERYTHING to 777 (not a good idea but worth a check) did not fix it. So it looks like I have a problem I can't fix myself....sorry.

OH, one more thing. I now have a Wordpress site, the main site digido.com which is protected by Wordfence and Wordfence is apparently protecting everything that is in public_html including the bobsgallery.digido.com subdomain. So maybe Wordfence is preventing the upload? Which is strange since the server compatibility test including making files and folders, checking "sessions" and passed all that.

Re: http error on upload

I fixed it! I had to move the subdomain out of protection from Wordfence by moving it out of public_html. So, is there any good way to protect a Showkase from spammers or malicious guys?

I'm glad to hear that you've been able to resolve your problem. Thank you for letting me know.

As far as I am aware, there are no known security issues within Showkase so there should be no need to use a third-party software package to protect a Showkase site.

Just make sure that you have a strong password for your Showkase admin login and, if you are worried about spambots harvesting information from a 'Contact' page, then edit the 'Contact' page in question, scroll down to the 'Spam Prevention' section and make sure that both the 'Robots noindex' and 'Hide email address' checkboxes are selected (to dissuade search engines from indexing the 'Contact' page and to obfuscate your email address respectively).

I have not used Wordfence myself but there may be a way to make an exception for a certain directory (or directories) which might avoid the need to actually move your Showkase site's files out of Wordfence's way. It might be worth looking into.

Also, I notice that you are currently using Showkase v1.3.5.
You might like to consider upgrading to the latest version (v1.7.3) as v1.3.5 is now over 3 years old and there have been 12 official releases since then (with many bugfixes and new features). Please see the Version History page for details.
Upgrades are free within the same major version number so you can download v1.7.3 using your original download link. (Download links always point towards the latest version rather than the version you purchased.)
You can find full instructions for upgrading a Showkase site on the Upgrading Showkase support page. (Please be sure to make a complete backup of your existing site first, just in case anything goes wrong and you need to reinstate your original files at a later date.)

Incidentally, I notice that you use an 'External fit px' value of '-300' on your Juicebox gallery pages.
This gives the main images in your gallery pages very little room to be displayed on a smallish screen (like a 15" laptop).
A smaller negative value should result in a better visitor experience across different screen sizes.

I hope these notes help.

Excellent support message! Many thanks for the advice. I upgraded my Showkase, reduced the negative value of external fit to -25. What would be the negative consequences (if any) of using such a low value? I did not see any bad effect on larger monitors? Please take a look at bobsgallery.digido.com on a small 15" monitor and do you have any suggestions on how to make better use of that space, get the largest main image (at 100% magnification in the browser) yet still know there are thumbnails to be viewed? I could make my signature logo smaller and/or try to tighten the space between the logo and the next text but I don't know how....

Best wishes,

Bob

Steven @ Showkase wrote:

I'm glad to hear that you've been able to resolve your problem. Thank you for letting me know.

As far as I am aware, there are no known security issues within Showkase so there should be no need to use a third-party software package to protect a Showkase site.

Just make sure that you have a strong password for your Showkase admin login and, if you are worried about spambots harvesting information from a 'Contact' page, then edit the 'Contact' page in question, scroll down to the 'Spam Prevention' section and make sure that both the 'Robots noindex' and 'Hide email address' checkboxes are selected (to dissuade search engines from indexing the 'Contact' page and to obfuscate your email address respectively).

I have not used Wordfence myself but there may be a way to make an exception for a certain directory (or directories) which might avoid the need to actually move your Showkase site's files out of Wordfence's way. It might be worth looking into.

Also, I notice that you are currently using Showkase v1.3.5.
You might like to consider upgrading to the latest version (v1.7.3) as v1.3.5 is now over 3 years old and there have been 12 official releases since then (with many bugfixes and new features). Please see the Version History page for details.
Upgrades are free within the same major version number so you can download v1.7.3 using your original download link. (Download links always point towards the latest version rather than the version you purchased.)
You can find full instructions for upgrading a Showkase site on the Upgrading Showkase support page. (Please be sure to make a complete backup of your existing site first, just in case anything goes wrong and you need to reinstate your original files at a later date.)

Incidentally, I notice that you use an 'External fit px' value of '-300' on your Juicebox gallery pages.
This gives the main images in your gallery pages very little room to be displayed on a smallish screen (like a 15" laptop).
A smaller negative value should result in a better visitor experience across different screen sizes.

I hope these notes help.

Dear Steven: One more question....   After pressing the "expand" button, I see the message "press ESC to exit full screen". I would like to change that message to "press the expand button again to exit full screen" because that will make the menu reappear. Pressing ESC takes you out of full screen but does not make the menu bar reappear. Unless you have a magic way of making that happen.

With all default settings (for both Showkase and Juicebox-Pro), Showkase will dynamically resize a Juicebox gallery on a Juicebox gallery page so that the bottom of the gallery rests at the bottom of the browser window, no matter what the size or shape of the browser window is. Therefore, the gallery is always visible in its entirety and vertical scrolling is required only to see the page footer (below the gallery).

The default value for 'External fit px' (resulting in the behavior I described above) is '0' (zero).
If you have a large site header (taller that the default site header text), then this can push the gallery down the page slightly (resulting in vertical scrolling being required to see the bottom of the gallery).
'External fit px' was designed to compensate for a tall site header and using a small negative value will reduce the gallery's height a little to, once again, allow the entire gallery to be seen without vertical scrolling.
A value of '-25' seems very reasonable as your site header is not that much taller than default site header text.
Having changed the 'External fit px'  value to '-25', things look much better on a 15" screen now.

If you want your main images to be displayed even larger than they at are present, then you could actually increase the height of your gallery by using a positive value for 'External fit px'. This would mean that users would have to scroll vertically to see the whole of your gallery but this might be something you are willing to live with to have your images displayed as large as possible (in the gallery's unexpanded form).

You could also reduce the number of thumbnail rows on your gallery page (by limiting the number of thumbnail rows to just 1 by setting maxThumbRows="1").
Space is reserved for the thumbnails (the thumbnail are not dynamically resized) and the main images are displayed in the remaining space. If you have fewer rows of thumbnails on your gallery page, then this will leave more space for the main images to be displayed.

With regard to the 'Press Esc to exit full screen' message, when you set useFullscreenExpand="TRUE" (to expand the gallery fullscreen rather than just full browser), you are making use of the browser's implementation of the Fullscreen API and the text for the message actually comes from the browser (not Juicebox or Showkase) and cannot be changed.
However, using the Esc key to close the expanded gallery should have the have functionality as closing the gallery via the Button Bar's Expand/Close Button (and it does in Chrome, Edge, Firefox, Internet Explorer and Opera on my Windows 10 PC).
If this does not seem to work for yourself, then try completely clearing your browser's cache before reloading your web page and trying again. Your browser may have cached some older Juicebox or Showkase files which might be causing a problem after upgrading.

If this does not help, then please let me know exactly what you mean when you say that the 'menu bar' does not reappear.
Are you referring to the Showkase navigation menu (at the top of the page) or the Juicebox Button Bar?
Perhaps you could upload a couple of screenshots to let me see what you are seeing. It might help me to troubleshoot your problem further. Thank you.
Otherwise, if you are really concerned about the 'Press Esc to exit full screen' message and its functionality, then you could avoid the problem altogether by setting useFullscreenExpand="FALSE" (although the gallery will expand only to fill the browser window rather than the entire screen).

I hope these notes help.

I just discovered if I make "show thumbs auto" then it automatically resizes the photo to as large as possible when it hides the thumbs. Very nice! (So no need to limit the thumbs rows).

You are right (of course). I was mistaken. Hitting ESC returns you to the regular menu from full screen. I must have been looking at the wrong thing. I really like this new functionality... the Gallery looks great!

Thanks for the update!
I'm glad you're getting on well with Showkase.