Topic: A couple of questions on customization of Kosel 1.6 theme

Hello! I am a 3d artist so I'm using the showkase package kosel 1.6 theme to create a portfolio page. And after finally getting my items uploaded how I want I'm now trying to go a bit deeper with personalization and I have a few more questions. I do have some familiarity with editing html and css in notepad (& dreamweaver), but I'm hesitant to dive too much into the showkase code without some direction as I don't want to break my site.

1. Is there a way to change what picture shows up as the main image for each sub gallery on the main gallery page?? Looks like it just defaults to the first image of the subgallery, but is there a way to set it to a specific image permanently??

2. Is there a way to set my site header text to always go back to the main index.php page no matter what sub page it is on?? Currently it seems to work that it just refreshes whatever page is currently being viewed, but I'd like that main header text to always default back to the main page.

3. I really love the page footer links for social media that y'all have pre-setup, but as an artist I'm going to be getting an artstation page set up as more and more in my field are beginning to have these pages, and showkase currently does not have one of these footer options pre made for that. How can I go about adding a similar artstation logo and link along with the other page footer URLs I currently have active?? Is this possible??

Thank you very much!

Re: A couple of questions on customization of Kosel 1.6 theme

1. Is there a way to change what picture shows up as the main image for each sub gallery on the main gallery page?? Looks like it just defaults to the first image of the subgallery, but is there a way to set it to a specific image permanently??

Yes. Edit your gallery page, go to the 'Images' tab and select the image you want to use for the thumbnail on the gallery index page in the 'Index' column.

2. Is there a way to set my site header text to always go back to the main index.php page no matter what sub page it is on?? Currently it seems to work that it just refreshes whatever page is currently being viewed, but I'd like that main header text to always default back to the main page.

Yes. Go to 'Site -> Site Settings' and enter the URL you'd like to use for your site header in the 'Site -> Site header link' input field.

3. I really love the page footer links for social media that y'all have pre-setup, but as an artist I'm going to be getting an artstation page set up as more and more in my field are beginning to have these pages, and showkase currently does not have one of these footer options pre made for that. How can I go about adding a similar artstation logo and link along with the other page footer URLs I currently have active?? Is this possible??

The sharing icons that Showkase uses are characters in a custom font (created by the IcoMoon app).
If the IcoMoon library had an ArtStation logo, you could maybe have added it to the font that Showkase uses, and change the logo for a sharing option that you do not currently use.
However, there does not appear to be an ArtStation logo within the IcoMoon library so you might have to just manually add an image link to your page's footer.
You can add custom HTML code to your footer by opening your 'showkase/_themes/base/pagetypes/basetheme.tpl' file in a plain text editor and modifying the {block "footer"} ... {/block} section at the end of the file.

Ah excellent, thank you, Steven! I was able to get those first two items done no problem, thank you!

That last one though, that'll take me a bit longer, but thank you very much for pointing me in the right direction! I anticipate I'll be able to get this done easy enough as well.

Thank you again very much for your awesome assistance! I really appreciate it!

You're welcome.

If you want to try adding an ArtStation icon to the custom font that Showkase uses for the social media icons, then the following might be helpful.

If you do a Google image search for "artstation svg", you should be able to find a suitable ArtStation logo in svg format which you can import directly into the IcoMoon app as a new character.

You could then add it to the custom font that Showkase uses (using the IcoMoon app) and seamlessly integrate it into your social media sharing icons in your site's footer.

(1) Open the IcoMoon app in your browser.
(2) Import the 'showkase/_themes/base/fonts/icomoon.svg' file into the IcoMoon app.
(3) Find a suitable ArtStation logo in svg format on the internet.
(4) Import this svg file into the IcoMoon app.
(5) Tweak the ArtStation logo if necessary using the IcoMoon editor (for example to change its scale).
(6) Select all icons (all icons from the original font and the new ArtStation logo).
(7) Click 'Generate Font' at the foot of the page.
(8) Swap the code for the ArtStation logo with the code for an icon that you do not use, e.g. Vimeo. (Otherwise, you'd need to edit Showkase source files to tell Showkase what the new code is for the ArtStation logo.)
(9) Save the font as a zip file. (It'll be named 'icomoon.zip' by default.)
(10) Replace the files in your 'showkase/_themes/base/fonts/' folder with the files from the 'icomoon/fonts/' folder (from the extracted font zip file).

Now you can use the Vimeo social sharing functionality as ArtStation instead.

The following links might help with using the IcoMoon editor.
IcoMoon Docs: https://icomoon.io/docs.html
Juicebox 'Using Custom Icons' (not 100% relevant but might be helpful): https://www.juicebox.net/support/theming/#icons

If you want to create or edit an svg logo, you could use Inkscape or SVG-Edit or Adobe Illustrator.

Of course, you could still just add your own ArtStation link in the {block "footer"} ... {/block} section.