1 (edited by mrjw34 2015-03-02 13:22:04)

Topic: Minimal UI

I finally updated to the latest Showkase 1.3.6 from 1.3.4.
It seems that I now get a full size URL area and a bottom toolbar on the iPhone in iOS Safari when viewing my site. Did the iOS "minimal UI" viewport function get altered or turned off in this version? Really makes a big difference in how the site looks with those UI elements taking up so much room.

Re: Minimal UI

Apple removed 'minimal-ui' from iOS 8 and the decision was taken to remove the 'minimal-ui' viewport property from Showkase pages in v1.3.6.
If you want to reinstate it, you could open the '_themes/base/pagetypes/basetheme.tpl' file in a plain text editor and change line 14 from:

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1">

... to:

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1, minimal-ui">

However, please note that this will make no difference on iOS 8 devices and Showkase v1.3.6 has been tested on multiple devices without 'minimal-ui' so I cannot be certain what effect reinstating it may have to page layouts and I would not recommend it.

(Please note that the line number above refers to the current version of Showkase (v1.3.6).

3 (edited by mrjw34 2015-03-02 22:06:49)

Well that sucks! Why does Apple do stuff like this? What was a nice feature to show more of s site goes away to show more toolbar? Grrr.

The end result is now my images are even smaller and more scrunched (13% less space from what I just read). The images look like postage stamps.

Could you look at my site and tell me how with Showkase I can get the footer type be as low as possible and have the image and caption to be situated right above?
http://goo.gl/H3aQJE

On the left is what it looks like now, on the right is what I would like it to be:
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii22 … snwgy8.jpg

Or maybe if there was a way to open Juicebox into Expand Gallery mode? Or a way to shrink the space the condensed header takes up?

Thanks.

4 (edited by mrjw34 2015-03-03 16:36:40)

On the Sarah Lee demo that also uses the Kosel theme, how do the images fill that whole screen in the small screen version? The gallery seems to be expanding on load on the small screen.

*OK, I figured this out. A Splash page is needed to open the gallery in expanded screen mode. I wish that opening in expanded mode could be done without having a splash page.

You mentioned in another thread that since there's no place to put a link to a custom CSS file I should make my changes in
admin/plugins/juicebox/master…. the only problem is changes don't seem to "take' with that CSS file. But changes do appear when made to the CSS file in  _viewers/juicebox/jbcore/classic….
The only problem is any change I make to that CSS file is overwritten the next time I Publish anything. Am I missing something?

Could you look at my site and tell me how with Showkase I can get the footer type be as low as possible and have the image and caption to be situated right above?

You should be able to increase the height of your gallery (thereby pushing the footer down the page) by editing the gallery page and entering a positive integer in the 'Override Theme Settings ->  External fit px' input field.

You could also remove the default margin below the gallery and the default margin and padding at the top of the footer by adding the following code to your '_themes/kosel/css/custom.css' file:

.gallery {
    margin-bottom: 0;
}

footer {
    margin-top: 0;
    padding-top: 0;
}

On the Sarah Lee demo that also uses the Kosel theme, how do the images fill that whole screen in the small screen version?

As you have noted, the Juicebox galleries in the Sara Lee demo site use Splash Pages which expand the galleries full-browser when clicked.
The Splash Page was designed to be used when the gallery is embedded in a web page (at less than 100% x 100%) and displayed on a small screen device where the gallery itself might appear too small. When the Splash Page is clicked, the gallery is expanded to fill the browser window which allows more space for your images to be seen better.
Change showSplashPage="NEVER" to showSplashPage="AUTO" in your own gallery and the Splash Page should be used by default on small screen devices.
For more information on the Splash Page and how Juicebox adapts to different devices and screen sizes, please see here.

You mentioned in another thread that since there's no place to put a link to a custom CSS file I should make my changes in admin/plugins/juicebox/master…

If you use the Kosel theme, then you can add custom CSS code directly to the '_themes/kosel/css/custom.css' file. (For the Boma theme, use the file '_themes/boma/css/custom.css'.).

If you want to add a link to an external CSS file in all your Showkase pages, then open the '_themes/base/pagetypes/layout.tpl' file in a plain text editor and add your link tag (e.g. <link rel="stylesheet" href="/css/styles.css">) just before the closing </head> tag on line 18. Please note that the line number refers to the current version of Showkase (v1.3.6).

If you really want to modify the 'theme.css' file for Juicebox galleries, then you should modify the 'admin/plugins/juicebox/master/jbcore/classic/theme.css' file and then republish your site afterwards (similar to the procedure for Installing a Pro Viewer).
Showkase copies the 'admin/plugins/juicebox/master/jbcore/' folder to the '_viewers/juicebox/' directory (for use within the site) which is why modifications you make to the  '_viewers/juicebox/jbcore/classic/theme.css' file are overwritten when you publish your site.

Thanks! I think I have things where I want them now.
One little thing is now that the small version is always showing images in Expanded mode I wish the navigation would disappear on touch like the Overlay (Auto setting). I don't want to assign Hover since that would mean on the desktop they wouldn't always be there.
Maybe a feature request for an Auto setting for the navigation?

Juicebox uses the same value for showImageNav in both Small Screen Mode and Large Screen Mode so setting ="ALWAYS" (as your gallery currently does) will, indeed, always display the image navigation (in both screen modes).

If you would like to make any suggestions for future versions of either Juicebox or Showkase, then I would encourage you to post them in their respective Feature requests forum threads. This keeps all the ideas together and ensures that they are not overlooked by the developers. Thank you.

Juicebox Feature Request Forum Thread: http://juicebox.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5
Showkase Feature Request Forum Thread: http://showkase.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2