1 (edited by dtaylor2 2014-06-25 19:37:33)

Topic: Permanent url for showkase gallery

What am I missing?  Made a gallery and it displays fine using absolute web server address/showkase/  But when I use client's domain name/showkase/  which points to that server address, I get an unformatted page of links that look like html1994.  Is there a standard url format to go to a gallery?  This is a stand alone gallery, not embedded in an index.htm page. Do I need anything besides domainname/showkase/ to access the formatted gallery? 

Works: s97231701.onlinehome.us/frankase/
Does not work: vita-taylor.com/frankase/
Here's the unformatted result:  www.vita-taylor.com

Thanks.  (Feeling dumb.)

Re: Permanent url for showkase gallery

It looks like vita-taylor.com is currently pointing towards s97231701.onlinehome.us/frankase.
It should be pointing towards just s97231701.onlinehome.us instead.

You should then be able to access the gallery by going to vita-taylor.com/frankase.

This does not work.  All my other sites go directly to the site's first page, not a menu.  The showkase gallery is in /frankase.
I called 1and1 and the support person said it was a problem with a css entry--that I need a full server url inserted, not the domain name, but I have no idea which css file would fix that.  I see no addressing options in the theme css or the main ones.

Main point is that s97231701.onlinehome.us/frankase gets to the site.  vita-taylor.com points to that address, but it serves up a mess.

You cannot get to the site using www.vita-taylor.com/frankase/

Any ideas?  I will be posting more galleries, and need this solved.  Thanks for any help.

Here's a bit more information about how Showkase works which might help explain what's going on.

Every page within a Showkase site, including the home page, is given its own folder (with the web page inside it).
Therefore, it is possible to get to view the home page by using two different addresses.
(1) Go directly to the Showkase root directory: s97231701.onlinehome.us/frankase/
The index.php page in that directory will display the home page (whatever the home page happens to be).
... or:
(2) Go to the actual directory of the page being used as the home page: s97231701.onlinehome.us/frankase/home/

All paths (to CSS files) within Showkase pages use the following notation:

<link rel="stylesheet" href="/frankase/_themes/kosel/css/styles.css">

The leading slash denotes the root directory so on s97231701.onlinehome.us, the path /frankase/_themes/kosel/css/styles.css resolves to s97231701.onlinehome.us/frankase/_themes/kosel/css/styles.css

The same files are used when using both your domains so the paths remain constant.
Therefore, when you try to visit your Showkase site on vita-taylor.com, Showkase is looking for the CSS file at vita-taylor.com/frankase/_themes/kosel/css/styles.css but it is not there. It can be found, instead, at vita-taylor.com/_themes/kosel/css/styles.css (notice the absence of the frankase directory in the path that works).

This is what made me think that vita-taylor.com is currently pointing towards s97231701.onlinehome.us/frankase and should just be pointing towards s97231701.onlinehome.us instead.
If it did, then all the paths within the Showkase pages would resolve to the correct locations.

If this does not fix the problem, then it might at least explain what is going on and help point you in the right direction.

5 (edited by dtaylor2 2014-06-26 19:26:48)

Thanks, Steven.  Unfortunately none of the "fixes" work.  When I go to 1and1 control panel and set the destination of vita-taylor.com to blank, then it serves the default lightandvariable.com page.  Not wanted.  I tried editing the showkaseconfig.ini various ways, also without luck.  I can't set the destination on the server to ../  either. (To try to get rid of the surplus /frankase/ part of the address.)  Any further suggestions about a repair?   Starting to be an urgent matter for me, since I want to post another client's gallery on the same server.   Thanks very much.

The problem seems to be that when you go to vita-taylor.com it displays the s97231701.onlinehome.us/frankase/index.php page.
This will not work due to the paths used within Showkase.

vita-taylor.com should redirect/forward to just s97231701.onlinehome.us and then the Showkase site should display correctly at vita-taylor.com/frankase/.

It is not possible to display the Showkase site at the root of vita-taylor.com because the Showkase site is not at the root of s97231701.onlinehome.us.

You say that you have "set the destination of vita-taylor.com to blank" but have you tried setting it to s97231701.onlinehome.us?

If you would like to be able to view the Showkase site at s97231701.onlinehome.us instead of s97231701.onlinehome.us/frankase then please see the Showkase Home Page support section here.
Maybe this will help.

7 (edited by dtaylor2 2014-06-27 12:16:49)

OK, finally FIXED---by global search and replace for all files, substituting www.vita-taylor.com for every instance of s97231701.onlinehome.us/frankase  Works fine now. 

Moral of story is to construct your showkase galleries by logging in to what will be the final address of the site.  My plan to construct the site, then just point the domain name to a site built using webserver address made the giant pathing problems.  Thanks Steven for your help!

P.S.  It is quite likely that your suggestion to set the target directory to the server root would work, but I am happy to have rid the site's code of references to the server address.

I'm glad that you have been able to resolve your problem.
Thank you for posting back to let me know.

My plan to construct the site, then just point the domain name to a site built using webserver address made the giant pathing problems.

I think your plan could still work because it's possible to change the path in the Showkase admin setup page after the site is built, then hit the setup button again and then republish. This might remove the need to do the search and replace. It could be worth updating the setup path anyway or Showkase might undo all of your changes when you republish again.

As you know, pathing issues can be tricky so take a good comprehensive backup before you hit the Setup button.

jack