Topic: Showkase and Simpleviewer rotate portrait images

Showkase and Simpleviewer are rotating portrait images to landscape.
How do I correct them so that the thumbnails and the images are correct?

Re: Showkase and Simpleviewer rotate portrait images

I do not know what program you usually use to view your images but it is possible that it reads the EXIF orientation flag embedded in your images and rotates the images as they are being viewed, depending on the value of the flag.
Showkase and SimpleViewer do not read the EXIF orientation flag and simply display the images as they are.

There is little consistency between programs (and browsers) as to whether or not your images will be displayed as you expect.
Try viewing one such image directly in a number of different browsers (Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Internet Explorer and Safari). You will likely see the image being displayed in different orientations across the browsers.

The only way to be sure that a program will display your images as intended would be to re-save your images stripping out the EXIF data and then rotate the images afterwards until they visibly look correct. (You can then feed them to Showkase and SimpleViewer.)

I hope this helps explain things.

Your software should have the ability to rotate the images to the correct orientation since its the what is misorienting them.
Safari on a Mac Mavericks is what I'm viewing them on.

Firefox on a Mac as well views the files the same way..
How do I go about stripping out the EXIF information?
This would seem to be a lot of work when I'm dealing with hundreds of files.
Also when I import the files into simple viewer or juice it rotates some of the files to landscape.
They are not this way in Preview or Photoshop.

Just removed all the metadata and the viewing files are the correct orientation.
The thumbnails are still the wrong rotation.

How do I go about stripping out the EXIF information?

Just removed all the metadata and the viewing files are the correct orientation.

It looks like you have figured out how to strip the metadata from your images (a batch process in an imaging program would probably be the best solution, and certainly the quickest).

The thumbnails are still the wrong rotation.

Try rebuilding your Juicebox gallery (edit your Juicebox gallery page and go to 'Advanced -> Rebuild this Juicebox gallery').
If this does not help, then please post the URL to your gallery so that I can take a look.
Also, it might help if you were able to upload one of the images that you are using that results in a correctly-oriented main image but an incorrectly-oriented thumbnail somewhere (and provide a download link) so that I can try to replicate the problem myself. Thank you.

With regard to Showkase not currently being able to rotate images, please post suggestions for future versions of Showkase in the Feature Requests forum thread. It keeps them all together and ensures that they are not overlooked. Thank you.